Outdoor shooting is bright in viewfinder, dark in actual RAW

3 hours ago, Paul B Felix said:

@sixzeiss  In this case, would it be correct to assume that DRO has no impact on a raw file processed by C1?

No, I think it means that C1 does not understand the data in the RAW file which relates the DRO feature, and therefore interprets the RAW data incorrectly!

I suspect that the image will never be rendered correctly in C1, since different parts of the image have different exposure/curve profiles. That is the whole point of DRO. At least, as far as I can tell.

16 minutes ago, sixzeiss said:

No, I think it means that C1 does not understand the data in the RAW file which relates the DRO feature, and therefore interprets the RAW data incorrectly!

I suspect that the image will never be rendered correctly in C1, since different parts of the image have different exposure/curve profiles. That is the whole point of DRO. At least, as far as I can tell.

Actually, I don't know what it means. I have it turned OFF on my A7ii and ON for my RX100.

I've read some things where they explain that curves are applied to the RAW data, but its not a single curve, rather a different curve for different parts of the image In that case the RAW data would be consistent. On wonders if even Sony knows how it works ... that's why I have it turned OFF, if Sony can't get it together then its no surprise that every RAW processor is giving different results.

49 minutes ago, Lescatalpas said:

@EvanWasHere:  I don't understand your problem, is your software using  a conversion set  for another camera? What happens if you shoot jpeg? Do the jpeg pictures show up too dark too? It's clear there is nothing wrong with your camera given the fact that your own raw file shows correctly in my software. 

I dont shoot JPEG.  

One thing I noticed, is that your "Quick Develop" is set to adjusted.  Do you have a filter that automatically applies to the image?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, Lescatalpas said:

@EvanWasHere Wow, "I don't shoot jpeg", me and others are merely trying to help you, not telling you to change your workflow. Only to try and pinpoint your problem you could maybe try to download a jpeg from your cam to see what happens. And no, I don't use any filter to import my RAW files. 

LOL.  I didn't mean it to come off like that.  What I meant was "I don't shoot JPEG in camera, so I have no JPEG shots from those shoots that I posted that were made in camera"

I'm very confused though why your lightroom opened the shot up with full brightness and I've tried on 2 separate computers and got the results I posted.

I just imported this into CaptureOne, the original image is dark (as indicated by the Histogram)

I hit the 'A" icon in the High Dynamic Range tool.

Corrects the image to this:

Edited by LiveShots

As others have stated here, it appears that DRO will affect the RAW file. It will under-expose the image to prevent the highlights from blowing out. So the RAW file will appear darker than the EVF showed when the picture was taken. So this implies that some post-processing will likely need to be done to achieve the desired result, if I were shooting in DRO a lot I would just set up a User Preset in CaptureOne to get me in the ballpark and then tweak further from there. 

Maybe Lightroom is auto adjusting something when the image is imported.

One more thing; I think it's a great photo, the model's expression makes the shot for me.

I conducted a small test that shows the impact of DRO on raw images.  All of the attached images were taken in multimeter with full manual settings.  I also tested this same scenario when spot metering while using aperature priority (spot metered in highlight and in shadow).  All test point to the same conclusion; DRO is clearly impacting the raw image.  The shadows in the DRO enabled images are brighter.

The notes on the top of the image refer to post processing in C1.  Notes on the left of each image refer to how the DRO setting in camera; Off or Auto.

Contrary to the prior posts, I was not able to find a difference between what I was seeing on the live view or evf as compared to what the unadjusted exposed in C1 looked like.  I'm not sure why this is the case, but I can only assume that a setting difference is the cause as we all have the latest version of C1.

Edited by Paul B Felix