Sign in to follow this  
McKinzea

ISO Problem

Hi there, I shoot the Sony A7ii and I love it so much!! The other night I had a senior session and as I am looking through the images and I have a few images that I took later that night and they are grainy. My iso was set at 640 and F7.1, 1/250 with my 50 mm lens. Why in the world would my photo be grainy at only 640 iso?!?!?! am I doing something wrong?! HELP!!

It is totally normal to get grainy photos in low-light situations, even at ISO 100. No matter how good the sensor: where light is scarse, noise will be visible in the final image.

In your case I would open up the aperture to at least F4.

The response from @keepcoding is spot-on; it's not ISO per se that's causing "graininess" (photographic noise) - it's the implications of random noise related to lack of light (via your exposure, which is determined by shutter speed and aperture). The ISO setting influences an in-camera process that occurs *after* exposure.

In your example, it sounds like F7.1 with shutter-speed 1/250 was too quick with aperture too small to capture enough light for the scene.