Lens confusion...

PeterMac

In researching a zoom lens with ‘better reach’ for my a6500 (without breaking the bank), I have found the following statement - but can only identify the (expensive) G lens. Can anyone direct me to the less expensive one? If so, is it worth a look?

There are two Sony 70-300mm (e-mount) zooms and the model tested here is the pro-spec G-series lens for full frame and APS-C cameras. If you are a Sony user who would prefer to pay much less for a 70-300mm zoom, look to the sub-£200 DT lens, which is similar in price to other manufacturers’ 70-300mm zooms...”

The article you quoted is wrong, there is only one 70-300 for e-mount. The DT they refer to is probably for a-mount, which can be used with an adapter. Another option is to use the Sigma 100-400 C with the mc11-adapter, but people report mixed opinions on the Sigma lenses with the mc11. Lets hope Sigma releases their new and cheap 100-400 in e-mount too as they did with all their recent art lenses: sure would be a winner as the only competition is the expensive 70-300 G and even twice as expensive 100-400 GM.

Pieter, thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I was going crazy by not finding the 2nd lens! I too would welcome Sigma 100-400 in e-mount format.

I asked Sigma to convert my Canon mount 18-300 C as they are offering this at their service centres but was told “no” because they don’t already have that model in e-mount. Funny as I would have thought that once an e-mount exists for Sigma that it could be used right across their range of lenses - but I obviously don’t know about lens technology!