Is Sony ever going to fix their Manual White Balance for Underwater video

I am looking to purchase an underwater videography setup. Sony cameras are by far the best in all features except one, manual white balance.

The manual white balance has an upper limit of 9900K which is nowhere near enough for an underwater camera setup.

Does Sony have any intention to fix this issue in any of their cameras?

This manual white balance issue has existed through multiple models of Sony cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

skating 101, etc.

I have noted a couple of posts on the subject of colour balancing underwater. The illumination of a subject underwater depends on the intensity of the light source, the total water transmission path of the light to the subject and then reflected back to the camera lens, the colour of the water etc. As water filters light differentially across the spectrum you have a complex situation which is made even more complex by adding an artificial light source subject to the same constraints. Glass filters do not add colour they subtract the colours that are less important so the colour you are looking for becomes more dominant. This means that adding a colour filter to your camera can only produce acceptable colour within a limited depth range and one camera to subject distance quite a problem for a free swimming diver. No solution will satisfy all conditions but options include ;

1) Add a glass filter sold for the purpose and establish its limitations in which you dive. 

2) Use daylight lamps and establish their how effective they are in your dive conditions.

3) Colour balance on a white board at the depth you are working to ease colour correction in post.

4) Establish Picture Profiles that you can dial in to your camera for the different areas or depths in which you work.

Hope this helps a little!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• I recently got an a7cii and to pair with the compact body, I thought of getting 2 of the trio compact lenses, 24mm F2.8 and 40mm F4.0. (I already have a 70-200mm) However I stumbled upon the newly released 24-50mm F2.8 G. I'm not sure which to get - I like the small factor of the prime lenses ON the body because it's discreet and helps me blend in as an average tourist / doesn't make it obvious when doing street. But if I add the dimensions of the 2 primes together, it takes up more space in the bag than the zoom lens. BUT THEN, the weight of the 2 prime lenses is 110g lesser than the zoom lens. The zoom lens has the added benefit of being more versatile.   So now I'm stumped. Each has their pros and cons and I can't decide which to get. I'd like to hear the views of you guys who are more experts at this.   Edit: I'm a bit concerned about weight because the last time I went overseas my shoulders were aching from carrying too much. Which is why I was looking for small compact primes in the first place.
    • Hi, I have got a6300 which shutter stopped working. I managed to change shutter but unfortunatelly broke shutter motor tape but I fixed that. After repair the shutter is working but not in a proper way, watch with sound. I bought the second shutter and tried to test it before dissaembling again and it doesn't react to magnet but it works fine when I apply 3V. Are there different type of shutter for a6000 - a6400? Back to the question what is wrong with my shutter after first repair? I don't want to put next shutter unfoundedly. Do your sony cameras perform such a self-check after start up?  IMG_5579 (1).webm
    • PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP I had the same issue Couldnt find the videos  even thought it played on the camera  found them all in here   
  • Topics