looking for a macro lens

I have never been big into macro photography but I have always been interested in getting into it. Not long before switching from Fuji to Sony I got a macro lens but didn't get a lot of use out of it before the switch. With macro, AF doesn't seem to be very important as you normally use MF, unless the lens was going to double as another purpose. I'm not sure I want to spend as much on the Sony 90mm macro, unless it is noticeable better than other options. For the most part, macro will not be a big money maker for me for the time being. I do have a local jewelry store that has asked if I would be interested in taking pictures for their website. I have never done jewelry before, and I know that macro won't be necessary for all of the shots but showing the handcrafter nature of the product would be good. It may not be something I decide to do since I am not proficient in product shots but they are a local business working on a budget so if they aren't expecting the results of an experienced product photographer and we can both grow it together then I may.

But what lens would be good for macro, and this type of product shooting in general?

Also, any advice on charging for this type of work that will likely be on going. The jewelry is made by a local gemologist so they will won't to keep the website up to date as they create new work. And keep in mind I am not an expert in this genre as of right now so I would not be charging the same as someone with a lot of experience.

Consider the tele-zooms instead. 70-300, 100-400, and both 70-200 all focus close enough at the long end to do close up photography, probably enough for jewelry. Look on Flickr for plenty of examples.

The tele-zooms offer different versatility than a true macro lens that I find more useful. The 2.8/70-200 is an especially versatile lens. Too expensive for a ham like me but  for many pros it should pay for itself pretty fast.

Decent basic product photography isn't hard. You can do a lot with just the background on a table, one softbox above, and foamcore reflectors. Really nice, attention-grabbing pictures require creativity, good understanding of light and plenty of practice. Light Science & Magic is a good textbook.

1 hour ago, thefsb said:

Consider the tele-zooms instead. 70-300, 100-400, and both 70-200 all focus close enough at the long end to do close up photography, probably enough for jewelry. Look on Flickr for plenty of examples.

The tele-zooms offer different versatility than a true macro lens that I find more useful. The 2.8/70-200 is an especially versatile lens. Too expensive for a ham like me but  for many pros it should pay for itself pretty fast.

Decent basic product photography isn't hard. You can do a lot with just the background on a table, one softbox above, and foamcore reflectors. Really nice, attention-grabbing pictures require creativity, good understanding of light and plenty of practice. Light Science & Magic is a good textbook.

I did just get a 100-400 for wildlife photography so I guess I should give it a try.

that1cameraguy just did a video on YouTube comparing the Sigma 70mm Macro vs the Sony 90mm Macro. I love the Sony 90mm Macro. It is a top notch lens that performs way above it's cost. 

Edited by Summit