Can not change aperture on SEL50M28 FE 50mm F2.8

Yesterday the lens was working fine, now on 2 different bodies I can not change the aperture - it just shows an F on screen with no number. I can not focus it and on my aii it comes up with a warning saying the lens is not attached correctly or is not supported.

There is no visible damage (it was working fine yesterday and has been stored well since then) I've given the gold things a wipe with a soft cloth, tried on different bodies etc etc.

Very frustrating. There is no Sony repair place anywhere near me. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Typically means the communication to the Lens is not working. Try attaching again, and just twisting it a little on the mount, normally there is a little rotation possible beyond the lock point, perhaps the contact will improve. Or cleaning the electrical contacts with some alcohol (not the kind you drink) or a similar cleaner.

Edit: You could also reset the camera, however not sure it would help.

Edited by sixzeiss

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, mc2020 said:

Hi, 

Did you find a solution? I would appreciate your comments... I have the same problem with this lens.

Thanks!

So weird. I couldn't reply when I first saw your comment, but earlier that day I actually tried the lens again and it now works fine. I didn't do anything with it, it has just been sitting in my storage cupboard doing nothing.

So weird.

4 hours ago, Wally The Confused said:

Excuse me, for perhaps being  stupid ?

Doesn´t a fixed aperture, of F 2.8, mean, it is  fixed ?

Ie, throughout the whole focal length, its always going to be F2.8???

2.8 just means that that is the widest it can open to. It is not a fixed aperture lens. all variable aperture lenses will go to smaller apertures usually all the way up to f22, but it's called a 2.8 lens because that is the widest it can open. That is more important to know than the fact it can close up to f22 i suppose.

The lens is a fixed focal length, however.

• 3 months later...

Hello sorry to drag this up again.  Ive just bought three MkIV's and a colleague has bought one in Belgium.  On each, we experience a total failure of operation of the Aperture dial when shooting in full Manual and in Shutter Priority modes.  We shoot via the Intervalometer (a shot a second) to a card, so cant qa and adjust between each shot.  This is very frustrating as adjusting the blooming Aperture is a fundamental feature of a flaming camera.  There...I feel a tiny bit better now.