Almost went Nikon

Optiq

Hi All.

I'm joining your forum to learn and hopefully contribute after I do learn.  I'm not new to photography, I'm just contemplating coming over here from the world of mirrors. 

I'm a longtime Canon user and my 8 year old 7D, while still going strong (because of my pathetically low shutter count) is starting to seem like an antique.  But hey, that's how they designed our world.  If it wasn't for the constant stream of "improved" products we would never know our current gear is woefully inadequate!! ?

Nikon . . . yes, I nearly went Nikon.  In fact the 750D was here along with some expensive lenses (to me $1300 is an expensive lens, yes I know they have $12k lenses but I would use other, more colorful  adjectives to describe those!!).  I felt like I made a mistake so I returned it.  The first thing that went back was that $1300 Tamron 70-200 F2.8 G2.  I had no doubt it would live up to it's promised performance but the size and weight threw me for a loop.  It was right then I realized I just don't have a need for that kind of hardware.  The worst part is I pitted the D750 with two good lenses against my 7D with it's barely kit lenses and there really wasn't that much difference in the sample shots I took.  That made no sense to me . . . here is one of the highest rated 24mp full frame beasts of a camera with two lenses that straddled a grand each against my 18mp crop camera with crap lenses and I had to think about which images were better.  That's when I noticed some strange lines in a grid pattern from the Nikon and with all doubt now shattered, it all went back.

I've had my eye on mirrorless for a while.  The last time I looked at it close was in 2015 and it didn't seem as ready for prime time as it does now so here I am sniffing around the A7 III and the A6500.  The reason the A6500 is on the list is because in reality that will do everything I "need" but the full frame is what I "want."  It does bother me that the A7 doesn't have a built in flash.  Stupid that is, yes (as Yoda might say) but I do a lot of product photography as a boat broker and I don't need a lot of flash and I don't like carrying too much gear.  I'm usually popping in and out of mildew laden berths so the pop up flash helps me to own 1 camera instead of 2 (remember the part above about low shutter count?).  The pop up flash is what attracted me to the Nikon in the first place.  If the Canon 6D had that I would have bought one when it first came out and I wouldn't be having this conversation!

I'm here to learn and decide between those models two plus my lens options.  I'm also wondering what flash the majority like.  I use a Canon 430EXII now and I feel that's a perfect balance of power and features.  I like the name brands but as long as the off brand cheapies work I'm good with those.

Thanks for having me, glad to be here.  See you in the threads!