Memory Card Error or Something Else?

At some point during recording, whether it be 10 seconds or 3 minutes, the recording will stop and an error message reads "writing to the memory card was not completed correctly". 

It doesn't seem to do anything regardless if I "Enter" or "Cancel" and execute the prompt to confirm. 

SD card is a Samsung 128gb EVO Plus U3 UHS-I

I have also tried with a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32gb 

Anyone run into this before? 

Guest Jaf-Photo

Is it micro SD? In that case it could be the adapter or that the card has been corrupted if you have used it in other portable devices. Start with a fresh fast SD card and see if you get the same problem.

5 hours ago, Jaf-Photo said:

Is it micro SD? In that case it could be the adapter or that the card has been corrupted if you have used it in other portable devices. Start with a fresh fast SD card and see if you get the same problem.

Both of the cards were brand new and it as the first time formatting them. 

Guest Jaf-Photo
4 hours ago, camcgregg said:

Both of the cards were brand new and it as the first time formatting them. 

Did you format them in the camera? Are they micro SD?

It's not necessary to format SD cards before use. If you format them in a computer, you may remove some of tbe SD-specific structure. That may in turn slow the cards down or cause them to fail over time.

Edited by Jaf-Photo

1 hour ago, LiveShots said:

What video format are you trying to use, frame rate etc. ?

I have tried several combinations of video quality and frame rate. All of them eventually stop the recording and give this error.

6 minutes ago, Jaf-Photo said:

Did you format them in the camera? Are they micro SD?

The Samsung is micro but I am using the adapter that came with it.

The Sandisk is standard but I don't really think that card is ideal for video on this camera anyways. I was just checking it anyways.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Micro SD cards sometimes cut out when you use them with an adapter. The adapters are not really quality items. Before wifi became ubiquitus in cameras I used micro cards in them to swap between portable devices to transfer files. It usually wasn't long before the cards got corrupted and stopped working properly. Typical problems would be slow read and write speeds, unrecognised cards and invisible files.

Get an SD card which is rated for video instead.

9 hours ago, Jaf-Photo said:

It's not necessary to format SD cards before use. If you format them in a computer, you may remove some of tbe SD-specific structure. That may in turn slow the cards down or cause them to fail over time.

Actually, the best thing you can do is format them "in-camera". 

There is no "sd-specific" structure; corruptions generally occur with the filesystem, and generally as a result of miss-use, which nearly always fixed with a format. However, some have a gift for technology and encounter constant problems with SD cards ....

Regular formatting of cards used for video is necessary to avoid fragmentation of the filesystem, which causes write speeds to reduce - a problem for video.

In the OP's case, it is likely that the card is not really suitable, either not the right specification (check the recommendation from Sony) or not high quality ( even counterfeit?). Check Amazon for suitable cards with high user rating.

Edited by sixzeiss

23 hours ago, Jaf-Photo said:

Micro SD cards sometimes cut out when you use them with an adapter. The adapters are not really quality items. Before wifi became ubiquitus in cameras I used micro cards in them to swap between portable devices to transfer files. It usually wasn't long before the cards got corrupted and stopped working properly. Typical problems would be slow read and write speeds, unrecognised cards and invisible files.

Get an SD card which is rated for video instead.

I have actually had more problems with regular SD cards in previous DSLR cameras than I have with micro. But these are both brand new cards anyways.

17 hours ago, sixzeiss said:

Actually, the best thing you can do is format them "in-camera". 

There is no "sd-specific" structure; corruptions generally occur with the filesystem, and generally as a result of miss-use, which nearly always fixed with a format. However, some have a gift for technology and encounter constant problems with SD cards ....

Regular formatting of cards used for video is necessary to avoid fragmentation of the filesystem, which causes write speeds to reduce - a problem for video.

In the OP's case, it is likely that the card is not really suitable, either not the right specification (check the recommendation from Sony) or not high quality ( even counterfeit?). Check Amazon for suitable cards with high user rating.

The Samsung is a brand new card off of Amazon. High ratings with many reviews. Reviews included using with Sony mirrorless cameras. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

Ok, so you're regularly having problems with memory cards. Yet you're not accepting any of the advice you asked for?

If you handle the cards right, there should be no problems at all. You just need to figure out what you're doing wrong and stop doing it.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I was going to write a follow-up but the site went down.

Anyway, if you look at the web-page of the SD Association, you'll find advice on formatting and which speed classes are required for different qualities of video:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/pdf/2017SDA_brochure_eng.pdf

I've never had an SD card fail but in the past I had cards that slowed down or would hide files.

I realised I was doing two things wrong. I was formatting the cards in my computer and I was using them in other devices that wrote proprietary file structures to the cards. I stopped doing those things years ago and literally have had no issues with any card since.

On 7/15/2018 at 3:45 AM, Jaf-Photo said:

Ok, so you're regularly having problems with memory cards. Yet you're not accepting any of the advice you asked for?

If you handle the cards right, there should be no problems at all. You just need to figure out what you're doing wrong and stop doing it.

I'm accepting the advice. And I appreciate it. Just answering the questions as they come up to rule out possibilities. 

The memory cards were taken directly out of the package and formatted in the camera. 

I would think that the issue is that card must not be fast enough but the reviews of the product included taking video with the same camera. Also, the Samsung was on a real-world test with various cards and it showed over 80mb/s write speed. 

Anyways, I'll have to try another card

Thanks to everyone for the help.