Shoulder Bag for A7rIII

Hi,

I am accustomed to carrying my cams in a shoulder bag with lens of the moment attached.  I have several very large bags that suffice for travel, since they hold most of my needed gear, but I would like to find a shoulder bag—day bag— that can accommodate just the A7rIII with the FE 24-70mm F/2.8 GM attached, either in the lens down position or horizontal.  I've tried ThinkTank, and was underwhelmed by their quality and flimsy Velcro separators.  I own several different Billingham bags (335,445 and small Hadley), but they are a nuisance to open and close without placing the bag on a stable surface, as opposed to hanging from one's shoulder.  And before I begin the nauseating process of ordering and returning, I'm wondering if any of you photogs have encountered such a bag? This is not an issue of economics but, rather, one of function.

Thank you in advance.

I use a Case Logic "Holster type bag for my camera. Seems well made  and permits me to carry all that I need for a day outing.  I find this bag works very well for me when carrying a camera and hiking or bike riding. Check them out on eBay or a local store.

Hi I use Peak Design everyday sling 10l ..... love it ... can fit there A7Rii with 24-70 Gmaster + 2 other small lenses or one 70-200 lens + misc (cards, batteries, powerbank ... ) look at some pictures or videos

Guest Jaf-Photo

Camera bags that are made to be stylish aren't the most practical. They're often flimsy and leaky. The most practical bags are the ones made by CaseLogic and LowePro. They are sturdy, padded and water-proofed. They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you can always find one that fits the kit you want to carry. I've got a wardrobe full of various such bags, from back-packs to single lens/camera combos.

4 hours ago, Jaf-Photo said:

"Camera bags that are made to be stylish aren't the most practical. They're often flimsy and leaky. The most practical bags are the ones made by CaseLogic and LowePro. They are sturdy, padded and water-proofed. They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes so you can always find one that fits the kit you want to carry. I've got a wardrobe full of various such bags, from back-packs to single lens/camera combos."

I don't entirely disagree, but I have searched for reviews of both the Caselogic and Lowepro holster type bags and have found a bevy of disgruntled owners for the pair.  The complaints ranged from they're being top heavy, with cameras falling out when left unzipped, to flimsy construction.  The last few bags that I'd ordered and returned had been made in either China, or Thailand, and were indeed cheaply constructed and I have no doubt that the aforementioned are made there as well.  Unfortunately, I am not located within a reasonable distance from a reseller of high end camera equipment, and have to rely upon reviews.  The process of ordering and returning is an onerous one, and I've heard that Amazon is penalizing customers who make frequent returns. But I do appreciate the input from everyone above.

Edited by ron777

Guest Jaf-Photo

Well, the bags themselves are bottom-heavy as they have a thick molded rubber bottom. This protects from wet sufaces and also provides stability. I can't answer for any of the reviwevers but I guess it's possible to knock any bag over if they're careless.

Edited by Jaf-Photo

Following an exhaustive search, it appears that, despite the reviews mentioned above, Lowepro, Think Tank and Case Logic control the field in holster style cases suitable for a camera/zoom combination.  With that in mind, I have encountered—on the Internet—the Case Logic DSH-103 Luminosity Large Pro DSLR Holster. It's not clear from the photos if this case might not be a tad too large for the A7rIII/24-70mm GM combo ... anyone with knowledge of this case?

Edited by ron777

Guest Jaf-Photo
13 hours ago, ron777 said:

Following an exhaustive search, it appears that, despite the reviews mentioned above, Lowepro, Think Tank and Case Logic control the field in holster style cases suitable for a camera/zoom combination.  With that in mind, I have encountered—on the Internet—the Case Logic DSH-103 Luminosity Large Pro DSLR Holster. It's not clear from the photos if this case might not be a tad too large for the A7rIII/24-70mm GM combo ... anyone with knowledge of this case?

That's for DSLRs with 70-200. It does have a cradle for suspending the lens, so it'll work. But probably better to go for the next size down. Case Logic does state the internal measurements on their web page, so you can match the to your kit.

Thank you, KeepCoding, but the Peak design sling is not my style of bag, furthermore, I prefer a case that allows for the lens down position ... easier to grab camera in a hurry.

Thank you Jaf-Photo for your suggestion and, yes, I noticed that it is made for a DSLR but might work for the A7rIII.   Despite my disdain for the order/return process, I will be ordering  Lowepro and ThinkTank (had a bad experience with a prior Thinktank shoulder bag) holsters to determine which works best, the least functional to be returned.

Edited by ron777

The ThinkTank digital holster 40 V2 arrived a few moments ago—the Lowepro is still pending— and it is clearly inappropriate for the A7rIII.  It is way too wide and there is no shelf to support the camera body. And this result, after speaking with a ThinkTank rep regarding the appropriate holster for the aforementioned camera and battery grip combo. This will mark my second and last ThinkTank product.  The Lowepro Toploader 75 AW photos, available on the Internet, appear to show a shelf to support the body, but I now have my doubts about this case as well ... only time will tell.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The feature I like most with the CaseLogic cases is the neoprene sling that suspends the camera from the top of the bag. It provides dampening and allows you to use smaller kits in bigger bags. Most of the time my only concern is to get the gear safely from A to B and for that they're great.

The CaseLogic sling does appear to be a unique feature, and their holsters are clearly inexpensive (relatively speaking), but the LowePro should arrive tomorrow and I'll post my impression after I've had a chance to inspect it.

The LowePro Toploader AW 75 II arrived yesterday, and straight out of the box—without any adjustment to the movable partitions— it is a perfect fit for the Sony A7rIII with battery grip attached, as well as either the 16-35mm F/2.8 GM or 24-70mm F/2.8 GM attached.

1 hour ago, Jaf-Photo said:

Good news! Especially that it fits with the battery grip.

Actually, if the battery grip were to be removed, the case would likely require some adjustment, but with the grip attached the camera and lenses fit perfectly ... not too snug and not the least bit jiggly.  

Edited by ron777