Help with new lens choices for the A6000

JWTPhoto

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but why not introduce myself first? Relatively new Sony user. Have an A6000 with the 16-50 and 55-210 kit lenses. I mostly shoot wide landscape, but am venturing into portraiture and I take the occasional wildlife/tighter landscape shot... So, looking for a trio of lenses.

I'm thinking a prime and two zooms, or just three primes. Not sure. I like the flexibility of the zoom but realize that primes tend to be sharper, which I like for my landscapes. Looking at the Rokinon 12mm F2 for UWA landscapes or the Sigma 16mm (which I've heard great things about). And then a 24-70, and then maybe a 70-200 for the zoomed-in shots. Not too sure.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jack.

Sigma 16 1.4 is a wonderful moderate wide angle; I use mine on my A6500 all the time.  It is very fast f1.4 so works well for interior available light photography.  It has become one of the most purchased lenses for the Sony cropped sensor line.

33 minutes ago, tinplater said:

Sigma 16 1.4 is a wonderful moderate wide angle; I use mine on my A6500 all the time.  It is very fast f1.4 so works well for interior available light photography.  It has become one of the most purchased lenses for the Sony cropped sensor line.

All of the reviews I've seen of it are fantastic! Definitely worth a look in. 

Do you have any other lenses that you can recommend?

2 hours ago, JWTPhoto said:

All of the reviews I've seen of it are fantastic! Definitely worth a look in. 

Do you have any other lenses that you can recommend?

Of course it depends upon your needs. However I think almost any A6xxx owner should consider the Sigma 16 and the Sony 18-135 as a superb combination that will cover, for most folks, a significant majority of their shooting requirements.

I have both...Sigma 16/1.4 and the Rokinon 12/2.  These lenses are entirely different and a comparison isn't going to make good sense.  AF vs MF; size difference; prices; and field of view, for starters. Used correctly, they can both produce great photos. You have to weigh all the differences and choose which is best for you.......... or like me, get both. The first photo is the Rokinon and the second is the  Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by TedG954

I own the A6000 and I use the following three lenses and am quite please with them:  55-210, Sony 10-18 and the Sony 35mm prime which I just purchased a few weeks ago. At one time I was looking for another zoom lens to replace the 55- 210 however all of the reviews and many I spoke to at photo shops said it was a good lens and would suit my purpose.  I have found that to be true.  The 10-18 mm is not cheap however it allows me the ability to take great landscapes and close ups.  The 35mm is fast at 1.8 and takes great photos with little light and also some great portrait pictures.  Now I am no professional just a retired senior who travels with my wife and I have no formal training.  I just shoot what I like.  Also I have found that the three lenses are relatively light to carry around.

Guest Jaf-Photo

In general, I would caution against using the more expensive 24-70 and 70-200 full frame lenses on the entry level A6000 - unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The reason is that the crop factor extends the focal length by 1.5 times. Therefore you lose out on the wider end of These lenses. Also, the A6000 is a bit slow and dated by current standards, so you don't really get the performance you're paying for with higher end lenses.

I'm actually quite fond of the 55-200 lens. I find it takes photos with good pop, i.e. good colour and general contrast. It loses out on fine detail, but in most cases the photos look good at normal magnification.

The 16-50 is terrible but you can easily find the better 18-55 lens for very little money.

Edited by Jaf-Photo

• 4 months later...

Would simply add that you can't go wrong with the Sigma 16/1.4.

The reviews could well be of a very expensive Zeiss. This Sigma( 35 mm equivalent) can do landscapes, street photography- just use your feet.

Really consider what will be your primary photographer uses. Hard to go wrong with a 24-70 , but think carefully before purchasing a true long range zoom. I have never had one and not missed having one.