Astrography and light trails

Hello,

I'm new to photography but I will attend photography classes/lessons because I want to learn more and become better..

I really like almost any kind of photography but mostly street, landscapes, cityscapes, astrography, light trails, star trails and timelapse videos.. I use the Sony A6000 with the kit lens (16-50mm) , a Neewer 35mm F1,7 and a Goko 70-210mm  F4 and all I want to ask is If I can use any of these lenses for astrography/star trails and If yes whice lens..
Also, any recommendation of any lens that is more appropriate for this kind of staff is more than welcome.

Thank you

Well, for star trails (>1min exposure time) you can use pretty much any wide-angle lens, you should be ok with the kit lens.

A better lens for astrophotography or landscapes is the Samyang 12mm F2, manual focus only but otherwise excellent. Takes some time to get used to manual focus, but I think it is worth the effort. 

Here's a photo that I took with the Samyang:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by keepcoding

On 6/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, keepcoding said:

Well, for star trails (>1min exposure time) you can use pretty much any wide-angle lens, you should be ok with the kit lens.

A better lens for astrophotography or landscapes is the Samyang 12mm F2, manual focus only but otherwise excellent. Takes some time to get used to manual focus, but I think it is worth the effort. 

Here's a photo that I took with the Samyang:

I have the Samyang 12/2 but I've never produced anything that nice. It's beautiful, where did you take it?

On 6/21/2018 at 7:09 PM, syncusoidal said:

I have the Samyang 12/2 but I've never produced anything that nice. It's beautiful, where did you take it?

Thanks! I took the photo in the Swiss Alps near the Aletsch Glacier.

It does take some planning. You need to get as far away from the light pollution as possible and choose a night without moonlight and with the center of the milkyway visible.