Remote focus

Hi 

Is there a way to control the focus of the camera remotely for camera like A7Riii? I have the play memory app on my tablet, I can change many settings remotely (ISO, exposure, etc) but not the focus. I have my app and firmware up to date.. .and it is just not working for me (and apparently many other persons on internet). There isn't like proper answers, tried different things but so far always same result, I'm starting to be desperate as I really need it! 

All help is welcomed :)

Thanks!

Guest Jaf-Photo

Did you update the app in both the camera and the phone? After updating both I got touch autofocus with all my Sony cameras, even if it didn't work before. I don't have the A7RIII, though.

Edited by Jaf-Photo

I recently bought the CamFi Pro remote camera controller (my first pre-paid crowd-funding participation ever).

Although on their main page both A9 and A7R3 are listed as "compatible", in the fine print all focus-related functions are unchecked for all Sony cameras. Major disappointment!

In the context of this thread it seems like Sony does not expose software access to their focus related functions to third party apps.

You cannot focus from your phone or pad via playmemories. I have the a7Riii. Before I had the A7ii, where you could download apps on the camera. The app, smart remote control, worked in combination with the playmemories app on your phone or pad AND with this combination you could focus from your phone.  I would think Sony can easily fix the current situation with a software update, and quite frankly don't understand Sony has not done this from day 1. The current remote is useless without focusing capabilities.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Wow, that's messed up. PlayMemories was really poor when it was launched. Then Sony gradually upgraded it so you could adequately control the camera and the autofocus. Then they drop support for their newest range of cameras? I can only guess they didn't have enough time to update their apps before the release of the third generation of FE cameras. Probably, they'll reopen downloads with a firmware update in the future.