First time using a prime 35mm

These are the first pictures I took with my new Sony 35mm 1.8 prime lens on my A6000.  Most were taken in the Auto mode on Landscape.  any suggestions to improve please let me know thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

More photos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Your kitchen photo (love to cook!!) and flower shot appear to be slightly out of focus.  Likely a low shutter speed for kitchen resulted in camera movement.  For the flower it may be depth of field issue.  In any event, experiment with other exposure modes where you can control shutter speed, aperture, ISO and if hand holding always be aware of keeping the camera stable during the exposure.  One real benefit of digital is you don't have to worry about conserving film!  Shoot away!  Experiment.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The images look good with great colour and contrast that make them pop. That's typical of a good prime lens.

With a fast prime lens, it's good to shoot in A mode, i.e. Aperture priority. Start with ISO on auto. That way you can choose the aperture and the camera will take care of the rest. This allows you to control the depth of field, while the camera sets shutter speed and ISO to give you a good exposure.

Use a low f-number for close-ups and larger f-numbers for distant shots.

I just don't get it.  One asks for constructive input and then for some reason or other the thread goes off track and we begin attack other peoples opinions.  As a novice photographer in my seventies I greatly respect other peoples input as it allows be to weigh difference scenarios.  

Many years ago I learnt not to personally attack others for their ideas for you will lose any future constructive input from them.  In other-word attack their ideology and not them personally.   

Just my humble opinion

Guest Jaf-Photo

I agree and I do always try to stay on topic. This is the internet however, and there are always people who enjoy stirring the pot, aka trolls. As a new user it's unfortunate that you have to get caught up in the history between regular users. But at the same time, this thread is fairly typical of what happens here.

That said, I'm glad that you are enjoying your new lens and I'm sure you'll have loads of great photos from it.

One final tip, as you live in the sunny parts, is to get a polarising filter for the lens. It will remove much of the glare and reflections from the sun, resulting in more even exposures, deeper skies, detailed clouds and more vibrant colours. It's only a small cost but it will improve the look of your photos more than anything else. Make sure it's a C-PL filter so you can adjust the polarising effect.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Listen, I regularly use circular polarizing filters in bright sunlight. In fact I did so yesterday.

The rotating filter allows you to turn the polarizing effect 360 degrees. This means that you can reduce glare in the actual direction you're shooting. You can also turn it to see through reflective surfaces, such as a water surface. I you're shooting a bokeh shot, you can fine tune the brightness of the background highlights. (You don't believe in bokeh or wide aperture lenses.)

This works and I don't care how many links you post. You're sole purpose here is to give bad advice in bad faith and to annoy people. To boot, you have posted the worst photos I have seen both in terms of technical skill and artistic ability. Bad photographers usually get one of those wrong but you got them both.

The medical term for contrary is obstinate. You'll find it in many descriptions of personality disorders.

These are the first pictures I took with my new Sony 35mm 1.8 prime lens on my A6000.  Most were taken in the Auto mode on Landscape.  any suggestions to improve please let me know thanks.

You can get some funny advice here ... my suggestions would be to ... try the SCN mode on the top dial, its possible to then select from a number scenes such as Landscape, Sunset, Macro, Action ... and the camera will select the appropriate settings.

This really works well.

Also, for photos of things, its helpful to use the AF Square (Large, Medium or Small) so that you have precise focus on the thing you are taking a photo of. With a Prime lens that will make a big difference ... its worth to learn that one. The flower photo for instance, precise focus is on the leaves to the left, rather than the flower itself. Also, in that case, a smaller aperture (larger F-number, such as F9 or F11) will be helpful.

I suggest you _both_ put your best photos on display in the Gallery somewhere and let the rest of us decide who really is the worst of you both. Make a poll out of it.

Username, I suggest no closeup photos of over sharpened nasal hair (or any other body hair ... please!), Jaf-Photo, I don't believe you have ever contributed a photo, so we all wait with baited breath.

This works and I don't care how many links you post. You're sole purpose here is to give bad advice in bad faith and to annoy people. To boot, you have posted the worst photos I have seen both in terms of technical skill and artistic ability. Bad photographers usually get one of those wrong but you got them both.

Sorry folks, for being late as moderator.

If this guy or any of his troll relatives show up here, please report them.

Sometimes I'm late but sooner or later I'll show up and clean up...

Andreas

PS.: Thanks to all who tried to keep on topic