I want to switch to a full frame camera and Fuji doesn't offer one. I am looking at the Sony A7 and need a 24-120 (or similar) F4 lens to use when I travel. The Sony lenses are a bit pricey for me and I want your opinions on Tokina, Sigma, and Tamron in this focal range. If you have any experience with these lenses please comment with your recommendations.

Thanks!

......... Sony lenses are a bit pricey for me .......

Fuji lenses wold be equally pricey if they were 

in Sony's position. Apparently, you should not

switch to FF on your current budget, nor at the

current level of FF competition.   

When the Canon and Nikon FF come into the

market we will hopefully see more competitive 

prices in the FF arena. Current Sony pricing is 

reflective of their monopoly in the market :-(   

Please do not think I advise from a position of 

greater "fiscal comfort" or a fatter budget than 

yours. I adapted all my ancient film-era lenses, 

and thaz why I use FF bodies, cuz acoarst the 

film-era lenses being [mostly] full frame. But if 

you intend to use contemporary technology, it 

may be about a year too early to get into FF.    

Adapted lenses cover most of my needs, so I 

have only ONE nice FF native Sony lens, cuz

I waited a long time for an opportunistic buy ... 

an Open Box Special 24-70/4.0 and I have no  

intentions of adding to that. Assuming that you 

have no collection of ancient lenses to adapt I 

would just repeat that a lot may change in the   

FF market in about a year. And if I'm wrong it 

still gives you an extra year to save up toward

those pricey FF lenses. 

Your thread title says "Considering" ... and it's   

very likely it will benefit you to "consider" for a

while longer ... about a year longer :-)

Guest Jaf-Photo

Most people won't see any difference between images shot with a full frame camera versus a APS-C camera. If you have to use budget lenses on the full frame camera, the images may even look worse.

I’ve just switched from Fuji (X-T2) to A7RIII. What were you using on the Fuji system? I had most of the good lenses in that system and am trying to build replacements in the Sony. It’s a little trickier, I’m finding, in that Fuji don’t really make a bad XF lens. Whereas there are fewer native choices on the Sony in some regards once you eliminate the less favoured lenses. And the favoured ones are expensive/large by comparison. My own fault, but I’m finding a few gotchas as well. The Sony 70-200 f4 is a physical size equivalent to the 50-140. It was an obvious choice for me but I now realise it can’t take a 1.4x Teleconverter. I shoot landscape in the main so the 50-140 was on the limit for size for me and the Fuji 1.4x rounded things off to give me flexibility and a perfect bag. With the Sony, if I want the same reach, my choices are 70-200 2.8 which allows me to use a 1.4 but that lens is as big as the Fuji 100-400. Or I need to get a 70-300 Sony, which has some compromise in aperture/image quality. I think I need to accept that if I want the great Sony lenses, I need to sacrifice weight/size compared with the Fuji setup. ‘‘Twas ever thus with Full Frame.

I wouldn’t compromise on lens quality as you’d be losing the point of upgrading to Full Frame. The Fuji and Sony systems are both great but they operate with different compromises I think.

I've just switched from Fuji X-T2 to Sony A7III.

This has been one of my biggest mistakes ever, and clearly not a very thoughtful decision.

The Sony A7III is amazing in every aspect, the thing is that the Fuji ecosystem with their XF lenses, kaizen upgrades is so close to the performance of the A7III that the upgrade is really not worth it. In some areas it also out outperform the Sony ecosystem.

I'm curious to why you need a FF camera, and in what case where the Fuji can't compete with a FF system. It's smaller, cheaper and it has great weathersealing.

The 18-135mm Fuji is their version of a 24-105 (202mm) lens so the Fuji system already has the lens that you're asking for.

I've tried the A7 before and I considered a swith from the X-T1, but the performance of the A7 was not worth it.

I sold all my Fuji gear to buy the Sony A7III and the 24-105mm sony lens.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:47 AM, jonas said:

This has been one of my biggest mistakes ever, and clearly not a very thoughtful decision.

I sold all my Fuji gear to buy the Sony A7III and the 24-105mm sony lens.

That's a rather sad story. Do you recall what you though you would gain from the switch?

11 hours ago, thefsb said:

That's a rather sad story. Do you recall what you though you would gain from the switch?

I had many cons vs pro for this switch. It was something that I was contemplating doing for years. I even tried out the original A7, and then the A7II. Both with the kit lens. But I always returned them.

But it was the A7III that tipped me over with its specs. Fullframe, IBIS, amazing low light, no 'worms' artifacts which haunted a lot of my Fuji files, incredible autofocus and battery performance that outperformes any mirrorless camera. The new battery performance reminds me of when I had DSLRs. And the new Fuji lenses are almost as huge and pricey as their Sony counterparts so I figured that if me next step is to invest in those lenses, why not just jump ship?

My next step is to save up for the 55mm 1.8 (I need something light) and the LAOWA 15mm F2. I think those two lenses paired with the 24-105 will satify my needs.

It's not that it is all a regret, but also a realization that it will take a lot of money and time to get those fantastic glasses.

I wonder if OP ever made the switch? Only now I realize that OP asked this question several month ago. 🙄

I got a lot of thoughts about the switch and the differences between the cameras.
If anyone is interested I might make a post about it.
Just DM me a question if you have any.

Thanks.