Should i buy the S0ny 35mm 1.8

I currently have the Sony 10-18 mm, 55-210 and the 18-55 kit lens.  I was thinking of purchasing my first prime the Sony E 35mm 1.8 however I do not want to spend the money if my other lenses will work well. We are taking a 50th anniversary cruise from Norway to Barcelona and will use it primarily walking around on city and countryside tours and also for videos..  

thanks

I'd suggest you try your 18-55 on 35 mm for a day or two and see how you like that focal length. For my personal use I find it too narrow for general indoor use and too wide for portraiture so I stick with the 24 + 50 1.8 primes. But your opinion may be totally different from mine. Use your zoom to find out what focal length you like best and buy a prime at that focal length.

You need to answer the question, "why do I want to purchase a prime in the first place?"

Main considerations are:

1.  Better optical performance

2.  Improved low light photography

3.  Compact size (depends on prime and focal length)

4.  Better bokeh

What field of view (focal length) you choose is up to your needs and taste.

I personally, if I were to choose just one prime for my 6500 would select the Sigma 16mm 1.4.  It is a terrific lens, excellent dollar value and should hold its value.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The 35/1.8 is a great lens. Autofocus performs very well, image quality is good and it has useful normal field of view. I often use it as a walkaround lens. The short minimum focus distance means you can take good close-ups too.

One alternative could be the Sony 20/2.8. Why? The wider field of view makes it easier to shoot indoors and on narrow streets. It's also a pancake lens, which is very convenient to carry and use. The image quality is slightly less than the 35/1.8 but it's perfectly fine.

Well went ahead and purchased the Sony prime 35 mm F1.8.  It was between that and the 50 mm however I thought in the long run the 35 would serve me better.  I got it at a good price because it has been on sale and I had 20 dollar gift certificate I was a able to apply towards it.