Lightroom import auto LUT's/Grades images?

When I take photos with both my old A7s, and my A7sii Adobe does this auto grading to the images after importing them into Lightroom (also into Photoshop).  Normally the images are crushed by 1-2 stops, and contrast and saturation is added, ext.  

Settings:

Raw,

Large Files,

3:2

SLog-3 (but have tired different Picture Profiles on my A7s and still did the samething)

I had an issue with it auto cropping the images, but switched it from 16:9, to 3:2 in camera and it was fixed.  I'm hopping its some setting I'm over looking.  

Anyone know why it does this, and know how to turn it off? I feel like I'm spending time trying to get back-ish to neutral instead of just editing the image. 

Thanks!

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's a feature of Lightroom. Under Calibration you can choose Camera Neutral to reduce the crush slightly. Otherwise Capture One has a Linear profile that is useful with Sony files. DxO Lab also has good neutral settings.

Hmm... I tried that.  Didn't seem to do any adjustments.

Here is an example of what's happening.  I went out to do a few test shots with it.

Here is the Raw image in the Import Screen, but once I hit 'Import' anything I'm going to edit automatically gets a grade when it lands in the 'Library' Page of Lightroom. 

Raw: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After I select the photos and hit Import the photo looks like:

I remember talking to Adobe about this a few months ago.  We imported a Canon raw file and no adjustments happened after import. Eventually, after a handful of adjustments they couldn't fix this issue...  

Hi!

I have had the same question in the past shooting RAW and importing into the newest version of LR.  Turns out the first image you see, even though you shoot RAW, is a jpg created within the RAW file that is shown on the back of the camera LCD.  That jpg is going to show any in-camera adjustments made to gamma, saturation, sharpness, etc.  But the RAW file does not get any in camera processing, hence the term RAW.  RAW files are straight off the sensor.  When you go to import into Lightroom, the first image you see in the LR import screen is the small jpg contained within the RAW file.  Once the import is completed, the actual RAW file replaces the jpg.  It looks like your camera is possibly set to Gamma Display Assist 'AUTO'.   If so, change that from Auto to Off.  The Gamma Display Assist brightens the shadows in underexposed areas when reviewing the jpg on camera LCD.  For an accurate display of what you shot, keep it OFF.  

I hope this helps.  Also, your monitor on camera may be turned up bright fooling you to believing you are capturing proper levels.  Sorry if you know this, but judging by how underexposed this shot is, I am guessing you did not review your histogram for this image?  It needs about 2-3 stops more light.  Never make a determination on exposure by the LCD alone, always trust the histogram for accurate exposure.

Best of luck!  Happy shooting!

Kent

Hey! Thanks for the reply.  Probably the most useful info I've gotten compared to talking to both Sony and Adobe.  haha.  

I just double checked, my Gamma Display Assist in camera is 'Off'.  Interesting that the image on the back and the thumbnail are different then what I get imported.  

Sony did have me download the Sony Edge.  It seems to be the work around? When I open the files in Sony Edge the image is exactly the same as the flat image I see from the back of the camera and the thumbnail I see in Windows.  Sucks a free software might be a better editor.  

If there was a way to make Adobe read the image like how I shot the original images that would be awesome.