Hey,

I'm upgrading from the A7s to the A7sii for the low budget commercial/short films that can't afford to rent.  This means I rarely do long takes.  Looking through the forums these camera's do have an overheating problem.  I do have a pretty decent kit from my A7s including a dummy battery to V-mount, cage, and Odyssey7Q+.   Though I rarely used my old A7s for 4k since I don't exactly trust HDMI, i've never had an overheating issue with it. 

It seems like using external batteries, pulling the screen off the back, and the v3.0 firmware helps with cooling during 4k.  But it seems like most tests are on continues takes, not for multiple 1-5min takes.  Was wondering what peoples experiences are with non-continues 4k recordings, also if anyone uses a dummy battery does that appear to help with overheating.

Best regards

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Beka
      Hello there, sony shooters! It is my first post here. I searched a lot but I couldn't find any solution related to my problem. So it goes like this:
      I have Sony A7s II and I had attached 50mm f/1.8 lens on it. When I was switching my camera to continuous autofocus, it was starting to hunt for a focus, never mind it was night or day, it was at 1.8 or 9, it was hunting for a focus hopelessly. Then I bought Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and again, it started hunting for a focus. This happens if camera is standby and I press shutter button for focus during photo. But if I switch it on video mode, everything is perfect and everything works very well. Even when I shoot video AF is great, Eye-AF also works perfectly, but when I want to shoot, say, my running dog, every image is out of focus.
      Did any of you have such an issue? What's a problem? I tried every focus mode but problem continues. 
      Edited: I almost missed that it Tamron and Sony 50mm lens worked perfectly on a73.
      Thanks for your attention and sorry, if such post existed before. If so, please link me
      Happy shooting!
    • By Focusfilm
      Hi, i am having the strangest issue with my A7SII and i wanted to ask you guys if i am overlooking something or if Sony actually made a huge mistake here:
      Last Week i took the time to go through every Container/Codec Combination the A7SIi offers and wrote down the estimated Time the Camera tells me i can record on a freshly formatted 64GB SD Card. Here are my results:
      (I gave (nearly) matching times the same font color)
      XAVCS 4K 25p 100M 1h21m 25p 60M 2h11m    XAVCS  HD 50p 50M 2h39m 25p 50M 2h39m 100p 100M 1h21m 100p 60M 2h11m   AVCHD 50i 24M(FX)  6h12m 50i 17M(FH) 8h29m 50p 28M(PS) 5h16m 25p 24M(FX) 6h12m 25p 17M(FH) 8h29m   MP4 1920x1080 50p 28M 5h32m 1920x1080 25p 16M 8h39m 1280x720 25p 6M 22h36m   Notice, how 25p 100M XAVCS 4k and 100p 60M XAVCS HD have the same time? I understand that, because 4K is four times as big as 1080p, so with the same bitrate i could get four times as many frames in a second and two clips with the same length should take the same space on my SD Card.  I also understand AVCHD 50i 24M vs. 25p 24M: Two half-frames should take the same space as one Full-Frame. What i do NOT understand however is XAVCS HD 50p 50M vs. XAVCS HD 25p 50M. The second should have a time twice as long shouldn't it?   Can someone please check if their A7SII behaves the same? Or, if i am missing something, point that out to me? I double and triple checked my results and i already did a test to see if 50p 50M is really 50p, not 50i, but it seems to be progressive.   Two things worth noting are: I am still on Firmware v2.4 OS Language is set to German (my native Language) Help, please :/
      Thanks!
    • By andremacias
      Hi! This is my first post.
      I just bought a Sony a6300 and i have a problem while recording 4k video. I'm using a Sony 55-210mm lenses.
      When i select 4K Video and the options: 24p 100M (super 35mm) and 24p 60M (super 35mm) some black bars (stripes) appears on the video. (i'll attach stills).
      This is "resolved" by making higher the ISO around 6400-20,000, but then at 25,600 the black bars appears again (and stronger).
      I don't know if there is something with my configuration (i haven't changed a lot of things since i bought it, almost everything is on default), or if it is another kind of problem.
      I used also the 16-50 kit lenses and the stripes appear too.
      Thanks for your help!
      *The one with the BEAR is 24p 60M, the one with the purple curtains is 24p 100M.

• By jorgephoto
      Recently the record and middle button on the Dial/Wheel on my a7sii just stopped working. without that middle button i can not select anything on my camera so i can't access anything on the menu like the Setting reset cause basically i don't have an "enter" or "select" button.
      i can scroll through the menu but cant select anything so i cant reset from the menu so I am searching for a way to reset to factory settings without using the menu, and i don't think there is a reset button on the body. So if anyone can help with a way to reset like sometimes they the "turn on while pushing down XXX buttons". if anyone has that info it is very much appreciated
      Jorge González
    • By erikdepooter
      I own both an A6500 camera and also a NEX-3N for backup. Because I recently bought a new primelens I had to update the firmware on both cameras.  With the A6500 there was not a single problem. But attempting the same procedure with my NEX-3N resulted in an error message. See attachment. Downloading the photo's by means of USB (Mass stoarage) is not a problem, so there must be a connection between camera and PC.
      Does anyone recognize this and perhaps know a solution? For instance by means of use of the programfile on my SD-memorycard?