A9 jpeg/raw quality

So I’ve been shooting RAW since picking up my A9 and love it... about 2 weeks ago I started shooting both raw and jpeg. Obviously the highest jpeg setting is Fine when shooting in this mode... I shoot mainly wildlife and as I pulled up the side by side comparisons, to my surprise the jpeg files are more clear and detailed than the RAW... I was completely shocked... I can zoom all the way in on a duck in flight and the image starts pixelating in the RAW way before the jpeg. This is in Windows Photo Viewer so I thought maybe it’s just this program so I opened both files in my PhotoDirector 9 program and still the RAW images are not as clear as the jpeg... is this normal? Anybody else experience this with their A9!?

Thanks in Advance!

Taylor

JPEG will usually look better than RAW until the RAW has been processed, this is true of any camera. I recommend CaptureOne for working with Sony RAW files.

Thanks for the response. I kept researching this last night and that was the general rule... this morning I pulled those images into PhotoDirector9, but no matter what I did with them I just could not get rid of the pixelation. I’m assuming this program is not up to speed with the A9 raw file. I will download capture one tonight and see if I can get better results. Thank you

So I tried downloading Capture 1 on my desktop with windows 8... didn’t work

I then downloaded it on my laptop with Windows 8.1 and was able to edit the same Raw image in both editing programs...

Results:

I am able to edit the RAW image in Capture 1 and clearly make it a better end result Picture than the Jpegs... When using PhotoDirector I just can not do this, so maybe they are just behind on their RAW file editing stuff

I then ran into another problem. After editing the RAW file to my liking and exporting it into a jpeg I opened the jpeg in the Windows Photo Viewer and the image did not look the same. It had lost the colors I had boosted and lost some clarity... maybe that program needs to be updated as well I don’t know but... thoughts!?

It could be a difference between sRGB and Adobe color spaces...

Not sure if Windows 8 is still a supported OS.

When I edit on CaptureOne and produce to JPG, it looks the same when I open in OSX Preview...

So I think the the issue is that you have a cutting edge camera and now, cutting edge editing software, running on a very old OS....

If you can, try sending the jpg to another laptop with newer OS and compare side by side..

Guest Jaf-Photo

I skipped Windows 8 but it sounds like a regular colour space issue. Make sure you select sRGB when exporting to jpeg, if it's for sceen viewing.

In the past, photographers would work gradually towards more advanced gear and techniques. These days, people jump straight from mobile phones to professional cameras, losing out on the learning stages in-between.

In the past, photographers would work gradually towards

more advanced gear and techniques. These days, people

jump straight from mobile phones to professional cameras,

losing out on the learning stages in-between.

That view of the rosy past is thru rosy glasses. I recall 

them jumping from Instamatics and Polaroids directly 

to AE-1s. Your "rosy memory" was rather true before 

the AE-1. When that turd hit the table it was a sad day,  

and that happened decades before digital photo.  

The AE-1 was the 1st SLR mass marketed by a huge 

TV campaign, pulling The Great Unwashed into photo.   

Shortly after that sad day, things got worse as Nikon,

Minolta, etc etc mimicked the AE-1 ...... 

It was also a sad day for the FD mount, which became 

the FD-N mount to appease all the noobs who couldn't 

fathom the FD's simple and secure breach lock ring :-(

Not sure if Windows 8 is still a supported OS.

Altho MS toadally dropped Win8 support, most

non-MS software documentation still mentions

it, as they must, given the installed base ATM. 

I run Win8 and Win10, and rendering appears 

to be the same, allowing for minor differences   

in the hardware. I've not felt moved to update

my Win8 PC. It is what it is, until it croaks. [My

other Win8 machine croaked last year]. 

Yes I’m exporting Jpeg in sRGB

I am shooting RAW in adobeRGB

I can export the same image with same settings from PhotoDirector then open the jpeg in Windows Photo Viewer and I do not have this problem

I attempted to do all the updates my laptop to see if that would help but now it seems that it has froze at 0% updating...

So I shot in Jpeg and RAW sRGB then edited it in Capture One, exported in sRGB and now have no color change in the exported image but the Clarity is still not the same. Kinda like if you jacked up the clarity to 100 in Capture One but the exported image looks like you only jacked up the clarity to 75... wierd... still not sure what’s going on here