A6500 + FE 70-200mm f4 G - Overkill?

Keith (M)

I'm looking for a longer reach to complement my existing E 16-70mm ZA.  None of the E-mount APS-C zooms appeal - to much of an overlap with my 16-70 and they are limited regarding maximum aperture size.  Initially I considered the FE 70-300 f4.5-5.6 G but am not inspired by some of the tests I've read, not the huge increase in length when zooming.  For little more money the 70-200 f4 G offers a constant f4 and no change in length plus the 70-200 is slightly lighter. Have to balance that against maximum focal length of 450mm -v- 300mm. On the other hand, the 70-200 avoids the potential of being a 'dust pump' (I used to have the canon 100-400 L years ago). I am neither a dedicated wild life nor sports photographer so 300mm should suffice for the kind of situations I envisage using the lens in.

So, I have nearly convinced myself that the 70-200 is the way to go, but...  A fairy expensive FE lens on APS-C - a waste of capability?  What say you?

Guest Jaf-Photo

I took the liberty of looking at your Flickr shots. I would describe them as general photography with emphasis on natural light and overall image quality. So, I would say that you would make good use of the 70-200/4 lens. You'd probably enjoy it more than a slower variable aperture lens.

Like all things E-mount, It's pricy but then again, buy cheap buy twice. So, you'll probably save money and time by getting the better lens straight away.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.  Went into town this morning to view the lens in the local camera shop (yes, there are still some around). The ergonomics of the combination were much better than expected which also helps with the weight.  After some trial shots both in the shop and outside in the street I took the plunge...

Made a short walk along a country lane after lunch and below is a SooC .jpg plus a 100% crop.  At 200mm, f4, 1/320sec, ISO 100.  Early days yet obviously, but very pleased with the initial results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Jaf-Photo

Quite a funny photo, with the horse looking at you and the rider looking at her phone.

Glad it worked out with the lens.