Sony a6500 Grainy Photos at 100 ISO

Hi Every1!

I am using a Sony a6500 with 18-105. I purchased the camera for video work but, it is a very small option as well to keep a camera in my pocket and take photos when I am walking/ travelling. 

But I am a little bit unhappy with it because I find grain/fuzziness in the pictures what I take in RAW at 100 iso. I had Nikon d3200, D7100, D7200 and d750 as well never had these kinds of issues. 

I am not sure if the camera is faulty or I am doing something wrong with it. 

Any suggestion?

Thank you for the answers.

Edited by SAF Admin
Download link deleted

Did you try setting the camera to store both RAW plus JPG in the menu options.

If so, you can then compare the two side by side. RAW files need editing to get the best image. The JPG does that for you so you can see what the camera is capable of doing automatically with the same data.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the same camera/lens setup and I have a similar issue. I shot an event indoors and the ISO was 3200 @ 1/125 at f6.3. Processing in Lightroom the detail adjustments shown on the attachment are the standard adjustments. The camera Picture Profile was off, image quality was Raw, color space sRGB, AWB was custom set and creative style was neutral. I'm attaching a JPEG that was exported from the raw file. The file is at low (1) compression with Baseline (Standard) options

I was hoping to be able to shoot at even higher ISO slip 5000, 10000 and so on.

Any suggestions?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.45.08 AM.pngattachicon.gifSEP_-0039_April 11, 2018_3.jpgI have the same camera/lens setup and I have a similar issue. I shot an event indoors and the ISO was 3200 @ 1/125 at f6.3. Processing in Lightroom the detail adjustments shown on the attachment are the standard adjustments. The camera Picture Profile was off, image quality was Raw, color space sRGB, AWB was custom set and creative style was neutral. I'm attaching a JPEG that was exported from the raw file. The file is at low (1) compression with Baseline (Standard) options

I was hoping to be able to shoot at even higher ISO slip 5000, 10000 and so on.

Any suggestions?

the basic stuff from the book: either increase the aperture or use longer exposure time. Even better, do both. Other solutions could be to try and see how the camera behave when shooting in jpeg and using in camera noise reduction or using the multiple exposure averaging. I have an a5100, sure it's worse than an a6500 but i don't think that is that much worse when shooting in raw. i go over 3200 iso only at night, when strictly necessary, and i make sure to expose properly in order to reduce snr to the max. I think that to go over 3200 requires a bit of tinkering, even with an a6500. I'm not sure though, because I've never had the chance to try one of the latests sony aphas aps-c.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

Guest Jaf-Photo

@silkyjr In reality, ISO noise will be intrusive from ISO 1600 and up. You can make it smoother by using a more powerful noise reduction tool, such as DxO or CaptureOne has - but at the cost of detail.

In LR you also have to activate the luminosity noise reduction to mute high ISO noise. You left that at zero. You should probably dial back the sharpening too, as that will work against the noise reduction by amplifying noise.

The more effective solution is to use camera settings to lower ISO. In your case, you could have opened the aperture to bring ISO down. Possibly, the stabilisation could have managed a slower shutter speed, too. So you could have taken the same shot at ISO 800 with less noise.

Personally, I shoot mostly at ISO 100. It's not difficult if you're used to it. Only as a last resort will I bump ISO. For me, using ISO 800 is already a bit wild and crazy. I don't think I've ever used ISO 3200 for an actual shot, only to test what it looks like. And, no, I hate the look of digital noise.

So, in summary there's nothing wrong with the camera per se. It's just about applying the right noise control techniques.

@OP Without pics, it's impossible to tell if you have an unreasonable amout of noise at ISO 100. One natural cause could be if the shot is underexposed and then pushed in processing.