I don't know if I can wait any longer...  Been a Nikon shooter for years, and as much as I love my D5, the new a7III has everything I need.  Does anyone know of an adaptor that will work well with Nikon glass?  I can't get a straight answer whether it will work with AF and transfer info.  Thanks! 

Guest Jaf-Photo

It depends on your expectations but in reality adapters will cripple both your lenses and your camera compared to native performance. Some lenses will have decent function, some won't. You should research your lenses.

Adapters often need firmware updates to work with new camera models. As The A7III is brand new, this will be a question for you to check.

All in all, I would caution against using non-native lenses on FE cameras because you lose part of the performance you pay for. Again, whether you can live with that depends on your shooting style and expectations.

I have several Nikkors that I use with my a7Rii including 300mm/4 PF and 24-120mm/4 with the Commlite adapter.

It AF and meta data works. 

There are lots of feedback on the subject online.

https://www.amazon.com/Commlite-CM-ENF-E1-Autofocus-Electronic-Transmitting/dp/B073ZFDJG6

That said, the lenses focuses slightly slower ~85% of native, and VR really doesn't work.

I'm currently debating between Nikkor 20mm/1.8  or the new Tokina 20mm/2.0AF (native FE).

ps, just don't get rid of D5 until you have put a7iii to paces.  I found a9 insufficient for some action shots where there are multiple subjects in a zone (e.g., soccer game).  Nikon AF for sports is still better and more accurate.  Haven't seen any a7iii AF comparison other than a single subject focus.

Thanks everyone... I will certainly NOT be getting rid of my D5, I'll end up selling one of my D3s's instead.  I LOVE my D5, and that's staying with me for a long time.  I want to add mirrorless to my arsenal, not necessarily replace it.  With that being said, that's why I ask about an adaptor because I will still own my Nikon lenses- perhaps I'll sell a few of my duplicates, but we'll see.  

Since many many years I use Nikon. D800 - glass: 15-35mm, 24-120mm, 28-300mm, Fisheye 16mm, 50mm f1.4, 60mm micro & IRIX 11mm.

Since I have my a7RIII I use these lenses with the Commlite CM-ENF-E1 Pro and it`s working well.

Only the AF is a with the 28-300mm is a bit slower. But that`s complainung on a high level.

For example: The Irix is not listed in the compatibility list but working fine.

If you want to shoot sports you should take original glass.

Other example: The Sony 24-105mm is perfect. The face detection and Eye-AF is really fast (this speed is not reachable with other glasses)

`Just chiming back in again on this.... I've had my a7III a week now, and MAN do I love it!  The Commlite adaptor works, but is a little intermittent.  When I mount a lens it works fine, however sometimes when I change another Nikon lens, I need to take off the adapter and put it back on.  Then works fine.   Anyone else have this problem, or is that just the price I pay for non FE lenses?  I will eventually add more FE lenses...

Thanks Jimigraph, I am also considering an adapter so that I can use my Nikon glass on the A7iii but have not read anything conclusive about experiences with these, yours is the closest so far.

Can you answer the following please:

1. Are you adding the adapter to the body first or on the lens and then fitting them as a unit?

2. Do you get full AF in single as well as continuous across all settings (wide etc)?

3. How does it work for tracking fast subjects (I cover car / bike racing using a D500 + 300mm f4 PF and want to use this lens on the A7iii)?

Perhaps I need to wait and see what is updated adapter wise as it seems to be a hit / miss scenario.

Edited by Iansky

I have some old nikkor NOT AF, I would like to use them on the a7rIII, I need only to have the focusing at maximum opening and then the diaphragm closed ad I shoot, is there some adapter ring useful?

No elecrtic transmission, only diaphragm

thanks  Domenico

General observations:

1. Sony mirrorless A series design philosophy wise are not ideally suited to shooting fast moving subjects. (For that Sony has the A77 & A99, etc.)

2. To then use cheap Chinese adapters - not approved or licensed by Sony and hence lacking complete integration and support - and expect the latest Sony technology to work as effectively via adapters as directly attached native lenses is expecting a bit much. 

3. Using heavy lenses on light weight camera bodies with relatively frail mounts is asking for trouble. (I use a Canon 400mm/f4 DO, I should know!) Some of these heavy telephotos don't even have special lugs to fit carrying straps that take the load off the camera mount whilst carrying/handling in field conditions.

4. If one looks for the fastest AF and durability better stick to Canon or Nikon or Sony's regular dSLRs or Sony SLT bodies with native optics for optimal AF and IS/VR/OSS performance. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Chuck_diesel
      I started with a Minolta and then switched to Canon. I have a nice line of Canon lenses, to include a Canon 400 f2.8 and a 600 f4, which are fantastic. I am considering switching from a 5D3 to an A9, but I am reading that the A9 will not shoot at 20fps when using a non-native lens. Can someone explain why this is the case seeing that a lens is just something that the camera sees through? Unless this is just a tactic that Sony is using to force sports photogs to use their lenses, instead of the ones they have already spent 10's of thousands on?
    • By ejg1890
      Hello All
      I just joined the forum at this point more for information as I am close to making a switch from Nikon to Sony primarily for the mirrorless options. Yes I understand Nikon has announced their Z series mirrorless but as a hobbyist there are some things i like about Sony rather than Nikon, however, there are still several items with Sony that I am concerned with and looking for feedback.
      Does Lightroom convert the Sony uncompressed file to a dng format without issues or loss of quality? The biggest concern is the RAW uncompressed file size. Nikon offers and I shoot 14 bit lossless compressed in Nikon. I later convert the .nef format to dng in Lightroom. Sony does not offer Lossless compressed option so the files for a 24 mb photo will be about 2x the size. So my workflow is to convert the Sony RAW format to dng after importing to Lightroom. Will Lightroom convert the Sony RAW format to dng? Is there any degradation to the file quality in doing so? Also if convert what is the file size of the dng? I have not seen a change in the file size in .nef files converted to .dng.  Any rumors, road maps or comments from Sony on firmware/software upgrades for additional functionality such as lossless compression, time-lapse video or other items. From what I have read Sony discontinued an app store that a number of these functionalities were available for purchase. Or I have I understood incorrectly and the app store is still available to purchase additional functionality? Durability in weather - how does this camera stand up to light rainfall? I do not make a habit of shooting in the rain with my Nikon D750. However, I do travel and take it with me. I don't always have the luxury of coming back some place at a later time. So I have used the camera in very (very) light rain. I have heard stories of the Sony A7III failing in even the slightest rain. Not sure if those are one off/infrequent occurrences. Finally any issues with dust or dirt on the sensor from changing lenses due to the fact the sensor is uncovered for a short period of time? I do clean the Nikon sensor myself but doesn't require it frequently. Thanks all appreciate any feedback
      Jim  
    • By sonyatlanta
      Howdy - Question, I have a Sony a5000, 5300 and 6000 (e mount) and I'm looking for an adapter for the Sony e mount so I'm able to use my Nikon 1 Nikkor Lens (Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 and Nikon 1 Nikkor 11 - 27.5mm). I believe the Nikon's are G mount lens and I've read multiple articles with different suggestions. Any and all help would be much appreciated. And I'm looking to keep it a low cost as possible. Appreciate it! 
      Cheers, Btlyle (@sonyatlanta)
    • By RLimaging
      Long story short I only need 1 lens to work and function a certain way. I do NOT need autofocus. But it's the new Sigma 14-24mm for Nikon that just came out a little while ago, not many people have it on their radar. I just need it to work on aperture priority mode and be able to bracket photos as well. But i shoot on manual focus at infinite. I'm wondering if only the more expensive adapters like the commlite will work with this function or if the cheaper 99 dollar ones will let me control aperture as well. I care about image quality but if the more expensive adapters are only that pricey because of autofocus I could care less. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
    • By darcymiller
      TL;DR: got any recommendations for a cheap fast manual non-radioactive 50mm prime?

I have an a6500 with the 16-70mm kit lens and also the 30mm f1.4 Sigma lens, which I love by the way. However, I want to use some legacy primes to experiment with different focal lengths, perhaps a tilt adapter later on, etc.

I also don't want to use a radioactive lens, because firstly I don't have a basement in my small apartment to "hide" the lens away when I'm not using it, secondly, I have a dog, thirdly I just don't want to take the risk.

I have shortlisted it to the following:

Minolta rokkor-md 50mm 1.4 - might be radioactive?? but f1.4 is very fast and apparently it's sharp too
      Helios 44m 58mm f2 - this is a lens primed for its swirly bokeh but I've heard on crop sensor bodies the bokeh doesn't swirl as well
      Auto-Takumar 55mm f2 - this has great "soap-bubble" bokeh, and works well on crop mode. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on this lens is that it may be radioactive (according to the Angry Photographer it's not but others say it is, and Pentax was notorious for radioactive lenses in that era) and also it's very RARE and fairly expensive. I'm in love with the look of the Takumar lenses, by the way.
      Konica 50mm Hexanon f1.7 - this lens is very sharp wide open and very inexpensive, don't think it's radioactive (is the bokeh any good?)
      Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF/AFD - not that vintage but fairly cheap and certified non radioactive (lens-makers stopped using thorium in the mid-80's)
      Anyone got any suggestions/tested the radioactivity of these lenses? Also, does the radioactivity vary from lens to lens? Thanks.