Sign in to follow this  
Jimigraph

Nikon glass on new a7III?

I don't know if I can wait any longer...  Been a Nikon shooter for years, and as much as I love my D5, the new a7III has everything I need.  Does anyone know of an adaptor that will work well with Nikon glass?  I can't get a straight answer whether it will work with AF and transfer info.  Thanks! 

It depends on your expectations but in reality adapters will cripple both your lenses and your camera compared to native performance. Some lenses will have decent function, some won't. You should research your lenses.

Adapters often need firmware updates to work with new camera models. As The A7III is brand new, this will be a question for you to check.

All in all, I would caution against using non-native lenses on FE cameras because you lose part of the performance you pay for. Again, whether you can live with that depends on your shooting style and expectations.

I have several Nikkors that I use with my a7Rii including 300mm/4 PF and 24-120mm/4 with the Commlite adapter.

It AF and meta data works. 

There are lots of feedback on the subject online.

https://www.amazon.com/Commlite-CM-ENF-E1-Autofocus-Electronic-Transmitting/dp/B073ZFDJG6

That said, the lenses focuses slightly slower ~85% of native, and VR really doesn't work.

I'm currently debating between Nikkor 20mm/1.8  or the new Tokina 20mm/2.0AF (native FE).

ps, just don't get rid of D5 until you have put a7iii to paces.  I found a9 insufficient for some action shots where there are multiple subjects in a zone (e.g., soccer game).  Nikon AF for sports is still better and more accurate.  Haven't seen any a7iii AF comparison other than a single subject focus.

Thanks everyone... I will certainly NOT be getting rid of my D5, I'll end up selling one of my D3s's instead.  I LOVE my D5, and that's staying with me for a long time.  I want to add mirrorless to my arsenal, not necessarily replace it.  With that being said, that's why I ask about an adaptor because I will still own my Nikon lenses- perhaps I'll sell a few of my duplicates, but we'll see.  

Since many many years I use Nikon. D800 - glass: 15-35mm, 24-120mm, 28-300mm, Fisheye 16mm, 50mm f1.4, 60mm micro & IRIX 11mm.

Since I have my a7RIII I use these lenses with the Commlite CM-ENF-E1 Pro and it`s working well.

Only the AF is a with the 28-300mm is a bit slower. But that`s complainung on a high level.

For example: The Irix is not listed in the compatibility list but working fine.

If you want to shoot sports you should take original glass.

Other example: The Sony 24-105mm is perfect. The face detection and Eye-AF is really fast (this speed is not reachable with other glasses)

`Just chiming back in again on this.... I've had my a7III a week now, and MAN do I love it!  The Commlite adaptor works, but is a little intermittent.  When I mount a lens it works fine, however sometimes when I change another Nikon lens, I need to take off the adapter and put it back on.  Then works fine.   Anyone else have this problem, or is that just the price I pay for non FE lenses?  I will eventually add more FE lenses...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By RLimaging
      Long story short I only need 1 lens to work and function a certain way. I do NOT need autofocus. But it's the new Sigma 14-24mm for Nikon that just came out a little while ago, not many people have it on their radar. I just need it to work on aperture priority mode and be able to bracket photos as well. But i shoot on manual focus at infinite. I'm wondering if only the more expensive adapters like the commlite will work with this function or if the cheaper 99 dollar ones will let me control aperture as well. I care about image quality but if the more expensive adapters are only that pricey because of autofocus I could care less. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
    • By darcymiller
      TL;DR: got any recommendations for a cheap fast manual non-radioactive 50mm prime?

I have an a6500 with the 16-70mm kit lens and also the 30mm f1.4 Sigma lens, which I love by the way. However, I want to use some legacy primes to experiment with different focal lengths, perhaps a tilt adapter later on, etc.

I also don't want to use a radioactive lens, because firstly I don't have a basement in my small apartment to "hide" the lens away when I'm not using it, secondly, I have a dog, thirdly I just don't want to take the risk.

I have shortlisted it to the following:

Minolta rokkor-md 50mm 1.4 - might be radioactive?? but f1.4 is very fast and apparently it's sharp too
      Helios 44m 58mm f2 - this is a lens primed for its swirly bokeh but I've heard on crop sensor bodies the bokeh doesn't swirl as well
      Auto-Takumar 55mm f2 - this has great "soap-bubble" bokeh, and works well on crop mode. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on this lens is that it may be radioactive (according to the Angry Photographer it's not but others say it is, and Pentax was notorious for radioactive lenses in that era) and also it's very RARE and fairly expensive. I'm in love with the look of the Takumar lenses, by the way.
      Konica 50mm Hexanon f1.7 - this lens is very sharp wide open and very inexpensive, don't think it's radioactive (is the bokeh any good?)
      Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF/AFD - not that vintage but fairly cheap and certified non radioactive (lens-makers stopped using thorium in the mid-80's)
      Anyone got any suggestions/tested the radioactivity of these lenses? Also, does the radioactivity vary from lens to lens? Thanks.

• By jabwallace
      I'm new to this list. A search brought up none of my key words, so sorry if I missed a relevant thread. Here goes: I bought the A7II to get as much of a fully manual SLR feel and control as possible. I've since purchased a mix of AI and AIS lenses. I'm simply looking for tips, tutorials and recommendations to better my skills and photos.

The only specific for this post is: are there any adapters out there that aren't ~3cm long? the length of the adapter creates weight by its cantilever.   

Best,  -Josh

• By HaitongYu
      Falling stars during peak hours of Perseid Meteor Shower 2016, shot over lake Duolun, Inner Mongolia, China. Around 90 meteoroids, and also the reflections of the brighter ones, were recorded during the 3-hour period shooting, and were stacked into a single image according to their relative position to the starry background.
      Sony a7s (astro-converted) and Nikon 14-24mm F2.8.

• By EDBR
      More than satisfied about my A7r and A7r2. But lacking the “ultra wide angle zoom f2.8”.

Have already the Sony 16-35mmF4 and Loxia 21mmf2.8. For astrophotography use also the Samyang 14mmf2.8, Loxia 21mm and 24mmf1.4….

But the Nikon and Tamron seem to cover it all, maybe the quality on the A7r2 will be a little behind the Loxia but would give me the possibility traveling with one lens, max two (like to much the little Loxia) in stead of 4 lenses…

Have to say I meanly use these lenses for landscape (at f8-f11) and astrophotography (wide open or one stop closed), so don’t really care about AF…

But do care about quality all over the picture, also in the extreme corners certainly regarding landscaping.
      Did anyone compare it to primes or other zooms on the A7r2 ?

Could also consider the Canon 11-24 but a little dark for astrophotography, only f4.0…prefer f2.8
      Don’t know how this lens performs on the A7r2 in the extreme corners.

Thanks for any reply and friendly greetings