• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimigraph

Jimigraph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I don't know if I can wait any longer...  Been a Nikon shooter for years, and as much as I love my D5, the new a7III has everything I need.  Does anyone know of an adaptor that will work well with Nikon glass?  I can't get a straight answer whether it will work with AF and transfer info.  Thanks! 

#2 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

It depends on your expectations but in reality adapters will cripple both your lenses and your camera compared to native performance. Some lenses will have decent function, some won't. You should research your lenses.

Adapters often need firmware updates to work with new camera models. As The A7III is brand new, this will be a question for you to check.

All in all, I would caution against using non-native lenses on FE cameras because you lose part of the performance you pay for. Again, whether you can live with that depends on your shooting style and expectations.

#3 mkg3

mkg3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

I have several Nikkors that I use with my a7Rii including 300mm/4 PF and 24-120mm/4 with the Commlite adapter.

It AF and meta data works. 

There are lots of feedback on the subject online.

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B073ZFDJG6

That said, the lenses focuses slightly slower ~85% of native, and VR really doesn't work.

I'm currently debating between Nikkor 20mm/1.8  or the new Tokina 20mm/2.0AF (native FE).

ps, just don't get rid of D5 until you have put a7iii to paces.  I found a9 insufficient for some action shots where there are multiple subjects in a zone (e.g., soccer game).  Nikon AF for sports is still better and more accurate.  Haven't seen any a7iii AF comparison other than a single subject focus.

#4 Jimigraph

Jimigraph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Thanks everyone... I will certainly NOT be getting rid of my D5, I'll end up selling one of my D3s's instead.  I LOVE my D5, and that's staying with me for a long time.  I want to add mirrorless to my arsenal, not necessarily replace it.  With that being said, that's why I ask about an adaptor because I will still own my Nikon lenses- perhaps I'll sell a few of my duplicates, but we'll see.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adaptors, nikon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X