MelinRyan

Alfa screen hinge increased rotation modification. Vlogging/Selfie mode!

Has anyone ever seen a diagram of the screen hinge on the 6500/6300 (not sure about the 6K)? I would like to modify the hinge to allow more rotation of the screen. Please reference the attached photo diagram. Basically I would like to confirm if the hinge extension is/isn't the mechanism for turning off the EVF when the screen is slightly pulled out. I understand the screen would be upside down and it most likely wouldn't be able to rotate completely flat but it could be almost enough to verify composition while the camera is facing the operator. Thanks for all the help. 

There is a optical switch but then there is also a switch somewhere else. If you pull out the screen the optical switch for the EVF will not work and the EVF will not come on. At least that is how my camera is. Please confirm if your is different? Thanks for the response!

There is a optical switch but then there is also a switch

somewhere else. If you pull out the screen the optical

switch for the EVF will not work and the EVF will not

come on. At least that is how my camera is. Please

confirm if your is different? Thanks for the response!

As you noted, the "6K" may differ. Apparently it 

does. Mine is an a6000 and if yours has the type 

of switching your describe, then that is a definite 

improvement ... as users of a6000, a7-II, etc, all 

complained about the LCD going black if you put 

your face closer to it for a better look.  

If I were to alter the hinge on mine [ if possible ], 

flipping the screen up to vertical would trigger 

the optical switch and blank out the LCD unless 

I dig into the menu to set "Monitor Only" viewing. 

Mebbe you can make a "selfie mirror" that fits in 

the flash shoe ? Should be less work, and less 

risky, than modding the hinge on your camera ! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By photojunkie
      Hello, everyone! My name is Misty
      I just got a Sony a6300 a week ago today. I was wanting to upgrade to the Sony a7iii from my Nikon DSLR cameras (D600 and D300; I've also had Canon DSLR cameras in the past), but I couldn't catch it in stock. Since I needed a new camera for VBS at church last Saturday, my husband ran me up to our local Best Buy last Friday and bought me the 6300...so, I'm a week in! I do hope to be able to grab the a7iii later this year for my birthday in November or at Christmas, but I am loving the 6300 so far and will definitely keep it as my back up camera/teaching my three kids ( 12, 9, and 8 ) how to shoot!
      The only lens I have right now is the 18-135mm that came with it but, with time, I am hoping to get a longer zoom, a 50mm, an 85mm and maybe the 16mm just because I love how other people's landscape photos look with that lens. 

I'm not a professional by any means, but I'm not a newbie either. I have loved pictures and photo albums for as long as I can remember, and I got my first real camera when I was in 7th grade. I'll be 32 here in a few months and I've had a lot of cameras since then. After I had my first child, that's when I wanted an awesome camera and got into Photoshop/Lightroom so I could create the best memories I possibly could have to look back on.
      This is my first mirrorless camera, though, and I am BEYOND excited for the adventures that Sonnie (what I named her) and I will be having together. I've taken pictures at VBS, the first day of school yesterday, at the fair, and our new church being build in just the seven days I've had it. I am also excited to learn how to take awesome videos with it!
      I still have a lot to learn, but that's why I'm here on this forum!!!

• By Karen Lamba
      Hey Sony Alpha family,   I recently just formatted a card in the camera & since then the screen has been flashing upon start up & non of the buttons are responsive. I took out the card to see if that was causing the issue, but starting up with the battery alone has the same effect. Screen kept flashing & I could not do anything with the camera. When I turned it off, the flashing just continued.   Anyone else experienced this before?
    • By OmrMor
      Hello,
      I've been having a problem when recording with my Sony A6300.
      The problem is that every time I start recording, it automatically stops at the 20th second.  I've tried to change the settings and see if the problem has to do with that but no, I even bought Sony's sd xc I U3 64GB
       memory card and nothing has changed. I would like to know if somebody else has this problem and how it can be fixed.

• By Makeev
      Penza City Lights on Sony A6300 / A7s / A77v 

Shot from 2014 to 2017 on Sony A6300 / A7s / A77v / and few scenes on BMPC 4K / Panasonic GH5
      Moon shot on Sony A6300 + Russian MTO 1000mm f8 and Sony 30mm for stars background.
    • By dansteph
      I purchased a Sony a6500 last December and I've loved using it (aside from the battery life). So far, I've used it quite a few times to conduct interviews for short documentaries or promotional work. I've conducted many interviews without issue, until now. Since I'm often working alone, I set the camera up, adjust the exposure and focus properly, and then move away from the camera to sit down and ask questions after pressing record - I always shoot interviews in complete manual mode for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. This time I was using the Sony G- f4/18-105 lens, it was very cloudy so I had the aperture set at (f4), shutter speed around 1/200ish, and ISO I always keep as low as I can at 100. When I pressed record, the interviews were properly exposed, slowly throughout the image became brighter and brighter. By the 9-min mark, the image is so over-exposed that it is useless, and I discovered this when uploading to my computer. Is this some kind of manufacturer malfunction, is it common, or am I now unknowingly doing something drastically wrong that I wasn't before? I've attached a couple screen shots of the moment I pressed record, to the moment I stopped recording - 9:16 to show you how drastically the exposure changed. Thank you for taking the time to help out!

Thanks again,
      Dan