Brief hands on with the new Batis lenses and a comparison with the FE 28mm

Agreed christer.

Gareth, I think you will be very pleased with the 25mm Batis. I'm selling the 21mm UWC and sticking with my old Minolta 20/2.8 for UW. The Batis 25mm will be used for interiors work and editorial. I'm going to hold onto the FE 28mm though. 

I would be afraid  to publish an so called comparable lens test, between this two lenses, which I had only an chance to hold them no longer than five minutes! 

Come on, this is a joke!

My preference is the 25mm BATIS!

That's probably why he referred to it as a "hands-on" and put a big disclaimer in the first paragraph stating his time with the lenses was only brief.

What exactly were you expecting?

Hello Chad, just curious, the first reports of the distortion performance of the 85mm was from diglloyd ( http://diglloyd.com/blog/2015/20150429_1044-ZeissBatis-85f1_8-MTF.html ) showing up to 3% distortion. I'm curious if you can comment on that? Did you get to test that aspect? Was your auto distortion correction ON in camera or in Lightroom for the portrait above? I'm a portrait photog, so I'm seriously curious about this. I know you commented on the distortion from the 25mm... Great shooting by the way! Also, if you have any others please post!!!!

Hello Chad, just curious, the first reports of the distortion performance of the 85mm was from diglloyd ( http://diglloyd.com/blog/2015/20150429_1044-ZeissBatis-85f1_8-MTF.html ) showing up to 3% distortion. I'm curious if you can comment on that? Did you get to test that aspect? Was your auto distortion correction ON in camera or in Lightroom for the portrait above? I'm a portrait photog, so I'm seriously curious about this. I know you commented on the distortion from the 25mm... Great shooting by the way! Also, if you have any others please post!!!!

No corrections in LR and I am unsure if there are any supported in camera for the Batis. I didn't notice the strong distortion that Lloyd reported but I probably am not as keyed in to identify it in portraits as I am for a wide-angle shot. 

No corrections in LR and I am unsure if there are any supported in camera for the Batis. I didn't notice the strong distortion that Lloyd reported but I probably am not as keyed in to identify it in portraits as I am for a wide-angle shot. 

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I am wanting to pick this thing up but that reported 3% distortion scared me a little. What's crazy is that one portrait you shot in the 20 seconds you had the lens taught me more about the lens than all of the sample images given by Zeiss thus far. How processed was that image if you don't mind me asking?? Could you perhaps post an unprocessed version? Thanks.

That's probably why he referred to it as a "hands-on" and put a big disclaimer in the first paragraph stating his time with the lenses was only brief.

What exactly were you expecting?

I would not expect that this fairly low cost Sony 28mm, will be better, as the much more costly 25mm Zeiss Batis!  No way!

• 3 months later...