Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL Wireless Flash Control Problem

I just bought the Flash for my Sony A7RIII. My intention is to use the Flash on camera to control the off-camera flash (another brand) with the R2 receiver.

When the flash and R2 Reciever are set as shown in the attached image, they function as expected UNLESS I put the flash on the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Off Camera:

1. Turn everything on

2. Push the test button on the flash (orange button in the picture)

3. Both Flashes fire as expected

Attach Flash to Camera:

1. Turn everything on

2. Push the test button on the flash

3. REMOTE flash ONLY fires

4. Press Shutter on Camera

5. CAMERA flash ONLY fires

Conclusion (possibly erroneous)

There is a camera setting wrong? I've tried all the Flash related ones on the camera. Nothing seems to matter. The box says that this Flashpoint flash is the Sony version. How could I tell if they put the wrong version in the box?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it is just to tell me that everything is set properly and that I'm not nuts. More helpful would be to point out my simple error and make me feel sheepish but successful.

I searched and found one other topic similar to this, but it did not seem to resolve this particular problem.

What is a strobie ? If you mean  regular studio strobe, please specify brand and model.

If i see well, you are trying to trigger it in Group A with 1/64 power. Maybe this is the issue since a studio strobe will not understand this kind of command and your trigger is not getting proper communication with your strobe through the PC cable, so it is not reacting when taking a picture but it is reacting under the test button probably at the power level selected on the strobe. I don't think you can control the power level the way you seem to intend (remotely if i understood well) by using the flash through a PC cable because a PC cable only communicates the trigger command when received by the PC connection. 

Remote power levels can normally only be controlled by such trigger/receivers if the remote flash unit has TTL capability in the first place because they use the TTL command on the flash but ask the flash to provide only a fraction of its TTL power in the mode you are using. This can not be achieved with Manual only strobes unless they have that built-in capability with your trigger system.

Try with the group A in Manual at 1/1 power level but you will need to go to your strobe to change the power setting

What is a strobie ? If you mean  regular studio strobe, please specify brand and model.

If i see well, you are trying to trigger it in Group A with 1/64 power. Maybe this is the issue since a studio strobe will not understand this kind of command and your trigger is not getting proper communication with your strobe through the PC cable, so it is not reacting when taking a picture but it is reacting under the test button probably at the power level selected on the strobe. I don't think you can control the power level the way you seem to intend (remotely if i understood well) by using the flash through a PC cable because a PC cable only communicates the trigger command when received by the PC connection. 

Remote power levels can normally only be controlled by such trigger/receivers if the remote flash unit has TTL capability in the first place because they use the TTL command on the flash but ask the flash to provide only a fraction of its TTL power in the mode you are using. This can not be achieved with Manual only strobes unless they have that built-in capability with your trigger system.

Try with the group A in Manual at 1/1 power level but you will need to go to your strobe to change the power setting

You are correct about the settings, though no setting seems to matter. I changed to full power with no change in results. I'm not trying to control the power of the second flash (I'll do that manually). All I want the flash to do is trigger the Flashpoint Reciever, which it does perfectly, till I put the flash on the Sony A7RIII.

This is the other flash. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079352-REG/interfit_str227_strobies_pro_flash_360_w_s.html and it is using this receiver: https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2rs.html

When the Flashpoint Flash is NOT on the camera, pressing the test button causes both flashes to fire as expected. When I mount the Flash on the Sony A7RIII the TEST button does nothing, and the shutter button on the camera causes only the flash on the camera to fire, apparently not transmitting to the R2 receiver.

I hope this more clearly explains my results. Thanks for trying to help.

I'm pretty sure the settings on the Flash and the Receiver are correct, because my OFF camera tests work as expected. It's only when the Flash is ON the camera that the results fail. Weird.

Does anybody know if Adorama has good technical support since this is a store brand of the Godox flash?

Guest Jaf-Photo

Just a guess but maybe the flash protocol isn't fully compatible with A7RIII as it is a very new camera.

Other than that, these off brand flashes often have idiosyncrasies that can only be resolved by fine-combing the manual and looking at YouTube videos of people who made it work.

Just a guess but maybe the flash protocol isn't fully compatible with A7RIII as it is a very new camera.

Other than that, these off brand flashes often have idiosyncrasies that can only be resolved by fine-combing the manual and looking at YouTube videos of people who made it work.

Sounds logical. I don't have another Sony camera to test with anymore. I've been scouring the interwebs and youtube for a solution. I contacted Adorama tech support via email this morning. I'll see what they say. 

The Flash works perfectly as an ON CAMERA flash. It just won't fire the remote R2 receiver with the camera's shutter button.

Thanks.

Check this out ( taken from the Adorama web page showing R2 receiver)

Note: Requires an Update to Firmware Version 04 for use with Manual flashes and when connected with a Sync Cord.

Please visit the Flashpoint Firmware Download page for the F1 tool and correct Firmware File.

Thanks! This was the culprit. I don't know why I don't think of things like these receivers having firmware, but obviously, they do. Problem solved! I'm now on version 4 of the firmware.

Tip for anyone else that needs to do this upgrade with windows 10: you need to disable driver signing before connecting the device to your computer. The device should be OFF. The Godox drivers are unsigned, probably because they don' want to pay Microsoft. Just Google "disable driver signing". It's cumbersome, but not difficult.