Subzero Playground -- Baikal 2015

I'm a long time SAR reader but signed up to this forum just to congratulate you on these images. Stunning work!

Would you consider sharing how you made this trip? Did you go on a photography tour or did you plan everything out yourself? I'd really like to head to Baikal at some point, but I've always put it off and instead gone to more accessible places, so if you could share your planning process it would be much appreciated!

One again, inspiring images!

First of all, I want to say thanks to you. I'm really appreciated. :D

However, I sorry to disappoint you. I didn't plan anything by myself. Me and my friends decided to go to this place by hiring a photographic guide. But, if you want the contact, here is his facebook account. https://www.facebook.com/timashov?fref=ts 

I can guarantee that he is a very nice and great guide. You will never disappoint in him. :) 

This is truly a one in a lifetime trip! GREAT WORK!

Also on the battery part, get an AC power battery unit that comes with a battery dummy and get a battery powered remote control car battery they are at 7.2 volts same as Sony and then connect car battery to the dummy battery that goes inside the Sony camera and the batter in your clothes and keeps warm and it will last all day.

Again GREAT WORK!

Christopher

First of all, I want to say thanks to you. I'm really appreciated. :D

However, I sorry to disappoint you. I didn't plan anything by myself. Me and my friends decided to go to this place by hiring a photographic guide. But, if you want the contact, here is his facebook account. https://www.facebook.com/timashov?fref=ts

I can guarantee that he is a very nice and great guide. You will never disappoint in him. :)

Thanks for sharing your contact. I'll definitely look him up if I head towards Baikal :)

This is truly a one in a lifetime trip! GREAT WORK!

Also on the battery part, get an AC power battery unit that comes with a battery dummy and get a battery powered remote control car battery they are at 7.2 volts same as Sony and then connect car battery to the dummy battery that goes inside the Sony camera and the batter in your clothes and keeps warm and it will last all day.

Again GREAT WORK!

Christopher

Thanks Christopher, for your suggestion :)

Great images!

These are some of the most majestic shots I've ever seen.  I love that you're able to put yourself into the scene, it makes it so much more interesting.  How do you do the night shots without being all blurry?

About the shots, most of the models are my friends, not me. So, I would like to say thanks to them. :)

For the night shot, that's me, the shutter speed is only 20 seconds, but if you look at the larger photo, you will see a little blur. :D

Hi, great photos, but can you please advice - I'm about to buy one of those cameras - A7II or A7S, is the resolution of the first one makes a noticable difference comaring to the second one? Is the second one worth it's big price (it's all about ISO?)?

Thanks.

Hi, great photos, but can you please advice - I'm about to buy one of those cameras - A7II or A7S, is the resolution of the first one makes a noticable difference comaring to the second one? Is the second one worth it's big price (it's all about ISO?)?

Thanks.

The different of resolution between these two cameras is double, as you can see in their spec. But, if you want to use your photo only for web post or small print, 12mp of the A7s is enough. And yes, the advantage of A7s will be significantly showed when you use high ISO. However, does it worth for its price or not, you should make decision by your own. :)

Love it love it.  I wanna go there, but honestly I think your skills probably made it even that much more amazing.  I just love the composition.  And you were able to stand there for 20 seconds extremely still? lol

Thanks again :)

Great great shots :) Was already following you on flickr

• 1 year later...

Excellent work this at least shows the A7s works well at subzero temperatures bar the battery issue.

My question:

Does any one know of a way to cool the Sony A7S down to operate at Sub zero temperatures in studio at 50 degrees cool to reduce long exposure dark noise ( in addition to NR or multi frame options) ?

Placing it in a freezer with the door open is one crazy idea others suggested to me :)

Are there any commercial products on the market to cool & operate consumer grade cameras at sub zero temperatures ?

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work this at least shows the A7s works well at subzero temperatures bar the battery issue.

My question:

Does any one know of a way to cool the Sony A7S down to operate at Sub zero temperatures in studio at 50 degrees cool to reduce long exposure dark noise ( in addition to NR or multi frame options) ?

Placing it in a freezer with the door open is one crazy idea others suggested to me :)

Are there any commercial products on the market to cool & operate consumer grade cameras at sub zero temperatures ?

Thanks for your comment  :)

However, I cannot answer your question, hope someone can answer you.  :D

Amazing series! "Crack" and "burning cave" are my favorites.

Thanks  :lol:

My question:

you can check this out

http://www.centralds.net/cam/?product=astro-a7s-cooled-camera

• 2 weeks later...