Off camera flash

Hi All - 

I'm looking to build out my lighting gear, and really, really want to get the flash off my camera.  I have a Sony A7 with a HVL-F43M flash.  I want to get it off camera, so I'm looking for two pieces of gear:

1) Flash cable extension - so I can shoot & hold the flash at different heights & angles

2) Commander & receiver - I've seen Sony's, they're quite pricey.  Are there any others at a cheaper price point that supports TTL?  (Godox?)

Thanks!!!  Happy Shooting!

Hi phishy

1) Flash cable extension - I found the Meike mk-fa02 which should be compatible with the Sony Multi Interface Hotshoe. I haven't found a distributor for Switzerland so far but it should be available over amazon and ebay

2) I am not sure if there are third party solutions supporting the native Sony Wireless TTL protocol. Godox could be a solution (especially as they announced the XPro for Sony) but in this case, you would have to use a Godox Flash either, as far as I got it. Possible solution: sell the HVL-F43M and buy a Godox-combination)

• 2 weeks later...

The Vello-cable arrived on Monday.

I tried it with A6500 and A9 and Sony F32M and it worked in TTL-Mode.

Handling is a little fiddly, because there is no little lever to fix the head of the cable on the camera's hotshoe (as it is on the Sony flashes) but a little wheel which is less comfortable.

The length of the cable is approximately 30 cm contracted and 60-70 cm streched out gently. To get the promised 100 cm length, you need significantly more strength and I wouldn't recommend it for usage on a tripod extended fully.

For my use case it works fine as I have the flash on a handle and not on a tripod.