Faulty Slot 1 A7RIII

Everything was running fine with my camera until this morning when I went to put my memory card back into my camera.   It won't secure into the camera.  So I call the retailer I bought the camera from who say that I can either have it couriered to them at their expense or come to the store.  As I don't have the packaging with me where I am, I opted to return it to the store.  After all, it has 2 slots, I can just use slot 2 (which bizarrely is the top one) can't I?

No, I can't.  Because you have to have a memory card in slot 1 to operate the camera.  This is illogical.  I now have a camera I cannot use.  With my Pentax 645Z I have two SD slots, and it doesn't matter which one I put the card into.  

What a silly way to programme a camera!

Something's keeping it from seating all the way.

Had the same thing happen to my Blackmagic. Been using a 256GB Sony card. The plastic separators on the insert end began snapping off but didn't interfere with operation. Finally the complete enclosure fell apart preventing insert. THEN I couldn't insert a different card that would stay put. Turns out a piece of plastic was stopping full embed so the card would click in place. It doesn't take much. Turned the slot to the floor and let gravity do its magic. Taa Daa. Success. So check the slot for debris.

Something's keeping it from seating all the way.

Turned the slot to the floor and let gravity do its magic. Taa Daa. Success. So check the slot for debris.

If gravity doesn't overcome any sticking, insert a piece of a broken jigsaw blade, so that the sharp direction assists in pulling any object out. Provided, there is any foreign object in the first place. This is sometimes used to extract a broken key from inside a lock ...

Thanks guys, this seems to have been the issue.  Gravity didn't work, but a visible dust blower seems to have done the trick as a memory card will now go in...

Still think that Sony needs to fix this in a firmware update so that you don't HAVE to have something in Slot1 in order to take shots.  Also why is Slot 1 on the bottom?

You don't

Setup menu 6

Rec. Media Settings

Prioritize Rec. Media

Switch this item from Slot 1 to Slot 2