A7s ii screen broken and set to monitor only mode

Hey All,

My A7s ii monitor screen recently stopped working (it's just totally black), and I'm traveling, so I'm unable to get it fixed right now. However, the viewfinder screen was still working. While trying to fix it, I (idiotically) set the camera to have only the monitor screen displaying, thinking that maybe that setting had just somehow been changed and that that was why the main screen wasn't working. Now I'm unable to navigate the menu in order to change the setting back to viewfinder only mode (or Auto), since the viewfinder is disabled and the main screen is broken. Anyone have a way of dealing with this?

Thank you all in advance!

What a nightmare any way not sure if the menu is exactly the same but here goes. First problem is getting to menu to where you want to be ; since it was last at the monitor setting lets assume and hope its still there at the finder /monitor setting 

1 press meue

2 press enter (centre button on the the wheel)

3 press down once

4 press enter 

5 press menu

that should get you view finder back as you are now in auto mode and can see the menu in the viewfinder 

IF YOU ARE NOT THERE THEN

1 with the camera ON remove the battery and put it back do not switch off , on my a7r2 that always means the menu open in suitcase _5_format I assume and hope yours will as well

then

1 press menu 

2 Press up 3 times 

3 press right twice

4 press down once

5 press right 3 times

6 pess down once

7 press enter

8 press down once 

9 press enter

that should have put back in auto as in the first suggestion

hope that works for you 

Guest Jaf-Photo

If the button presses don't work you can hook it up to a screen with a hdmi cable. Then you'll be able to get into the menu.

The same thing happened to me while travelling a couple of years ago. I had no hdmi cable and the menu was set to memory, so I couldn't get into the camera until I got home. Bottom line is I keep a hdmi cable in my camera bag now.

If the button presses don't work you can hook it up to a screen with a hdmi cable. Then you'll be able to get into the menu.

The same thing happened to me while travelling a couple of years ago. I had no hdmi cable and the menu was set to memory, so I couldn't get into the camera until I got home. Bottom line is I keep a hdmi cable in my camera bag now.

well done never though of that 

Be sure there's nothing blocking (dirt, fuzz, fabric, sleeping pillbug) the IR sensor window that controls automatic switching of the EVF to Monitor. Eyecup slides UP to remove. Don't bust the guide off like this user did.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 8 months later...

I did the same thing and this post really helped.  I can add though that when you access the menu through the HDMI it will not let you change the viewfinder/screen setting.  My son figured out that once you are at the menu setting you can unplug the HDMI cable and then make the menu setting change. 

• 10 months later...

I have also messed up and managed to set my FINDER/MONITOR mode to monitor only when my screen isn't working. Now I cant access any of the menus. I'm also away from an area where mini HDMI cables are available unfortunately. Are there any solutions to this? EG a written button map through the menu's available online? A way to hard reset the camera without having to go into the menus?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem but with a A7riii. Is the menu the same as the A7rii and if not can somebody help me throug the steps to put back to AUTO blind.

Is the A7r iii also returning to the same place in the menu after switching off?