E-mount to A-mount Adapters??

Bside123

Greetings! Perhaps this is a stupid question, as well I've tried some internet searches on the subject with no success... Are there any adapters or applications that can adapt the new plethora of "E" mount lenses to the Sony "A" mount cameras, i.e., A99ll, A99, A77ll, A77, etc.?

Help me out here, what am I missing? Has anybody thought of this, or does the physics of the proposition (focal length) make it impossible. Thanks!

Guest Jaf-Photo

E Mount has a shorter flange distance than A Mount. Therefore, E Mount lenses focus in front of the sensor on an A Mount camera. The only way to push focus back onto the sensor would be an adapter with an extra lens. This means that you lose autofocus and ruin the image quality. There are some adapters of this sort around, for instance Minolta to Canon. But they're generally useless.

The best option, if you're interested in FE lenses is to buy a spare FE Mount camera and the FE lenses you're interested in. You can always adapt your A-Mount lenses for more choice. I did so for a while but to me it was more trouble than it was worth. I got rid of my full frame E Mount gear and my APS-C A Mount gear. So now I use A Mount for full frame and E Mount for APS-C. To me, that's optimal in terms of size, handling and performance. Occassionally, I adapt full frame A Mount lenses to my APS-C E Mount cameras, but that's mainly for macro shots when the smaller camera comes in handy, i.e. low to the ground and such.

Guest Jaf-Photo

That's kinda what I thought, Jaf. Thanks for the info. I haven't seen any discussion about the subject, so I'd thought I'd ask. For now I'm doing fine with my Sony and Old Minolta glass. Cheers!

Yeah, the only GM lens I'm interested in is the 85/1.4 because I like the way it renders a picture. But I have plenty A Mount lenses that do nice portraits, so it's not a priority.

Yeah, the only GM lens I'm interested in is the 85/1.4 because I like the way it renders a picture. But I have plenty A Mount lenses that do nice portraits, so it's not a priority.

Right! I have been plenty pleased with the Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZA, the Vintage Minolta 100mm 2.8 and the Minolta 80-200mm 2.8 HS G for portraits in the A-mount. Even the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm 2.8 ZA is no slouch for portrait work.

I just posted a portrait using the Sony 85mm 2.8 SAM. I've gotten some good results with this lens here and there, but truthfully, I use the Sony 85mm infrequently. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

Similar to what I use. I saw the portrait with the 85/2.8. It's always been a good lens and it seems to shine on the A99II. I've got the Zeiss 85, I think it was the first Zeiss lens I got after I had the similar Minolta 85/1.4 G, also a great lens. Sometimes I regret letting that one go but I got quite good money for it...