A7rIII: small intervalometer options? build my own?

Hi

The A7rIII is a great camera, but I hate that it lacks an intervalometer. Buying an external Trigger is an option, but then I always need to carry it with me and make sure the batteries are full. Of course we can always wait and hope that Sony will bring back the PlayMemories apps, but that might never happen.

It would be cool to have a simple and tiny intervalometer that is powered directly from the multi-port connector. I think if it could handle a few predefined interval times that would already suffice (lets say e.g. 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 and 60 seconds). 

I haven't found such a device yet, so I thought why not build it on my own?

I already have ideas how to implement this, the only thing I still need to figure out is whether it is worth doing it and what other features I should include ;-)

What do you think of this idea?

...but then I always need to carry it with me and make sure the batteries are full. Of course we can always wait and

What do you think of this idea?

You'd still have that problem with anything you'd cobble together, wouldn't you? Been my experience that a time lapse shoot isn't something you mistakenly trip and stumble into but something that's planned. And in that planning goes the calculation of location and composition and equipment and time allowance of shoot. It'd be a fine academic exercise to develop something on your own and you'd still have the problem of batteries and having it with you. Pragmatically speaking, off the shelf units can be had for $50-$100. I'd rather spend that minimum 10 hours invested in research, acquisition, testing, and application shooting something. Leave it in the car for those times when inspiration strikes you. No way you could loose the race with a 10 hour head start.

Thanks for your answer. Totally see your point, maybe you are right. 

On the other hand - as I pointed out - this is not about money, it is about bulk that I need to carry around. Also, I have to say that sometimes I just stumble into a timelapse opportunity, e.g. when I am in the mountains (hiking). 

• 1 month later...

The Spark is available! The Problem is that Alpinelabs has no Sony cable in the moment. The Spark itself is is always the same, don`t mind if Sony Nikon Canon.

After getting the Spark I tried it with a cable of another remote. Working well with my A7RIII.

Because I wanted to have the other (flat) jack I bought a cable for Sony and mounted the jack of Alpinelabs.

It took me 5 minutes. You only need to check which colour of the three lines of the cable belongs to that colours of Alpinelabs

(Every Producer uses different colours).- Looking at the picture you will understand why I wanted to have the small jack which I couldn`t find in any store.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I tried the Spark, but sent it back.

It worked quite well (apart from the bulb ramping, which was removed from the app), but build quality was really questionable. Cheap plastic, feels like it is gonna come apart at any moment. Also, the connection between the remote and the cable (2.5mm jack) was extremely loose, so I had to be careful not to accidentially pull it out.

For me the setup just didn't work, I need either something more robust or completely without cable. Really hope Sony will bring back some king of intervalometer via Firmware upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my A7Riii three weeks ago and wanted to do some remote controlled shooting, so I bought the following items. Seems to work very well.

1) PIXEL T9-E3/N3 LCD 2.4GHz Wired or Wireless Shutter Release Timer Remote Control for CANON EOS 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D,70D 60D 700D Pentax K5 (The E3 connector also works with my Olympus OMD-EM1Mk 2) $28.00 at Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJV8OMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 2) tyoungg® [1.5 Meters Coiled Cord] 2.5mm to Multi Terminal Cable for Remote Control Shutter Release, Timer, Flash Trigger, etc. Compatible with Sony Alpha Camera A7 A7r A7S A6000 A3000 SLT-A58 NEX-3NL DSC-HX300 DSC-RX100III DSC-RX100II $8.69 at Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYP9ONU/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The PIXEL T9 receiver requires a 3.5mm connector, so I ordered the following adapter and "super glued" it to the 2.5mm plug

3) Monoprice 107126 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated

$3.79 at Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001119F0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...