120fps transferred to computer

is it normal that the footage has been automatically slow motion? 

Isn't this the whole point about shooting at high frame rate? After all, playing back at the same high rate as recording wouldn't give you any visual effect that your eyes would be able to appreciate anyways. You would just end up with a bloated file.

In my view, the whole point in high frame rate recording is, to "dilate" time, that is: give you a closer look at time increments that your bodily system of sensors (a.k.a.: eyes) and processing unit (a.k.a.: brain) will be able to follow.

So, in short: what you describe sounds like the perfect result from your settings.

just want to ask when i shoot 120fps on a6300 when i transferred the footage on my computer is it normal that the footage has been automatically slow motion?

Let me ask, to clarify, your question.  Are you seeing the footage as slow motion or are you wondering if it should be an automated process to see it as slow motion?

If I bring footage shot at 120fps into a NLE sequence where the sequence setting are set for 30fps then I need to slow the 120fps footage down by 50% (or your preferred effect - that number is just an example) in order to see the slow motion effect.  With the iPhone it's just automated verses the manual adjustments your NLE software allows. 

Again is this what you are asking?

Three easy steps:

1. You are shooting at 120 fps for one second.

2. That leaves you with 120 frames after one second.

3. You play back those 120 frames on a player which is not aware of the frame rate at which the 120 frames were taken. It plays those frames at its standard frame rate of 30 fps.

How long does it take a 30 fps player to play back 120 frames?   ==> 120 [frames] / 30 [frames/second]  = 4 seconds.

Reality has been captured during 1 second. Its playback takes four times as long. You perceive this as "slow".   What else could you expect?

• 2 weeks later...

As Jeff above mentioned, it's not necessarily "normal" and probably is dependent on what NLE (non-linear editor) you are using as to whether it recognises it as high frame-rate footage and plays it back at the "project" rate (eg 30fps/25fps/24fps), or just plays it back as though it it is 120fps so you see the action in "normal" time, as if the project rate was 120fps.

A simple video program might automatically slow down the action in playback, as Chrissie notes...  whereas something likes Resolve doesn't.

What editing program are you using for your footage?