Upgrade from a33 to ______?

I've had a a33 for years and have loved it.   I'm looking to upgrade.   The main focus of my photos currently is high schools sports.  I'm shooting fast moving objects in poor lighting conditions.   Many of the gyms I'm shooting in are older and the lighting is bad.   I'm just shooting for a hobby that I enjoy.   I do a little landscape, and macro. 

I've been told the newer Sony cameras are able to shoot at a higher ISO with producing less noise.   I'd like to keep with a Sony camera and also if possible the same lens mount without using adapters.   I've also been told that the translucent mirror in the a33 "steals" some of the light for viewing, which compounds the problem of shooting in low light. 

What would you recommend as a step up camera?   I don't feel the need to go full frame.  I'd like to keep to less then $2k for a new body. 

The a77-MkII is the love it or leave it choice. 

Chances are good you will love it. 

Otherwise you'll be using an A-to-E converter 

on an a6500/6300. OTOH, it's quite possible 

that your lenses are simply not worth bringing 

forward to your next camera. Most likely they 

use shaft-drive AF and will never respond any 

better than they already do on your old a33 :-(  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whenever One of my clients ask about UPGRADING their camera the first thing I want to know is

What are you looking to fix with this upgrade? How much are you looking to spend?

The A33 is an old camera for sure and the LCD viewfinder has seen better days. Lowlight capabilities?  Well... I have the A55 I still shoot with it on occasion and often lend it out to my Photography Students as it is a great little camera and learning tool. A low light master it is not. 

School Gym lighting is BAD for everyone. I have FF flagship Alphas that cannot master the Green hue of the Gym lighting that is typically mixed in with natural sunlight that comes in through windows near the roof of the gym God only knows why they are there to begin with. 

There are several ways to stay within budget and get a better camera.  If you are trying to stick with the A mount then you are stuck with the SLT.  Do you lose a bit of Light to the Translucent mirror?  SURE but  with in body Stabilization standard who cares... Put it this way I shoot Professionally with an A99 and About to Upgrade to the A99MKII because it doesn't make a noticeable difference. 

So the USEd Route you can get the A77 (A noticeable upgrade to the A33/A55) OLED viewfinder makes shooting so much better. The High frame rate and larger 24MP files fills the buffer QUICK you may get 1-1.5 sec at full burst.  I usually shoot in 3-5 frame burst that gives you more room to work with the buffer. The A65 is roughly about the same. You can find these online for around 400-500 range maybe cheaper on Ebay or Classifieds.

The A58 and A68. A bit larger form factor from the A33  With 20MP and 24Mp Sensors Respectively.   The A68 has a new Processor for Better Noise Handling  Certainly more range. I've seen good result from the A68 at ISO 25,600 not prize winning but usable when you want to get a shot in lowlight for personal use. 

The A58 can be found Under 600 and A68 right at the 600 mark for Body only. 

Hope this Helps. 

Mark Onewolf
1WP