Data recovery programs?

So I finally got a camera (a7) and took atleast 300 picture of my friends in 1 day. I went to my computer to upload it And every single picture from the day was gone. From that poi t I tried putting the card back into the camera and nothing changed. So I downloaded easeus which actually showed me previewed images of the missing pictures, but easeus charged 69 dollars to actually recover them.. being cheap and be one I then tried recuva older pirated versions of easeus and photo rec but they all seem to not work. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there another way to recover my photos without paying 69 bucks for a freak accident?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guest Jaf-Photo

There is a free recovery program with a DOS-type text interface. It's very thorough and very slow. I don't remember the name but it has a wiki page so you can google for it.

I ended up having in and getting easeus with a coupon so it was only 40 bucks. The problem is it only seems to have the preview picture but no actual data with it. So while in the program I can view a small picture of it. But after recovering the pictures have nothing. Any body been through this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guest Jaf-Photo

Yes, I don't use ea-sus any more. It threw up thousands of file names but very few usable files. I used the ea-sus suite until about five years ago or so, but found they changed it for the worse. A lot worse, to the point of being bloatware. That's when I found Diskdrill. I've used it to recover virtually all files from a crashed portable drive, for instance. It was important because I stored years' worth of raw scans from film there.

There's also TestDisk and PhotoRec. They're free but slow and have complicated interfaces. Highly effective, though. That's the free program I referenced above.

• 3 weeks later...

PhotoRec is highly recommended as a free photo recovery software, not friendly to newbies though. Comparatively, programs, which are easy to use, usually charge people for a certain amount of money. However, there is no guarantee of 100% success for both of them, since the recovery is complicated by itself. 

Sum up: It is almost impossible to find a software which can get back all your data from the very first. Therefore, you can try recovery programs one by one (even paid software allow preview before recovery, so there is no need to make the decision in a hurry). Of course, it is suggested to make a backup for the entire memory card first in case of more loss due to accident. I know a clean recovery tool, named jihosoft photo recovery, that can back up the entire memory device, including existing and deleted files. Though the tool is paid, the back up feature is free to use.      

Just pay the $69 dollars for the EaseUS or find Disc Doctor or whatever. It is a tool and your using it for a valuable need. EaseUS is actually very good along with Disc Doctor. However my EaseUS got damaged after I had to reinstall my Vista ( I could not move from one computer to the next like with the 98 or OSX install ).

You made me realize the reason I was unable to view my files was because my flash reader could not make head or tails of the format and reading via the USB 2.0 on the A7RII I have is useless.