Sony Fe 4/16-35 Review

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hey folks,

I just published my review of the Sony FE 4/16-35 ZA OSS T* (what a name) on my blog.

My conclusion:

Pros

• excellent center from f/4
  • very good corners stopped down
  • effective image stabilizer
  • very good built quality
  • nice sun stars
  • versatile zoom range

Cons

• not very well balanced on the a7, probably better on the a7II
  • not as well weather sealed as similar lenses from other manufacturers
  • expensive

I think it is a very good lens, I was very happy with the images I got. It's size and weight contradict the small form factor of the Alpha 7 series a bit and the price is a little high but because of the very good performance these are acceptable compromises in my eyes.

17299764222_eec121ab1a_o.jpg

16681485124_762ddfc021_o.jpg

17196252228_436ff09ecb_o.jpg

17393592021_95d6830a96_o.jpg

If you have any questions just ask ;-)

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the effort and information you put into your review (really nice images too:-)

Did you happen to investigate the use of filters on the lens, particularly at the 16mm end of the focal-length range?

For my anticipated uses of the lens I expect to use one or two at-a-time of

1. circular polarizer
  2. graduated ND
  3. ND

I'm hoping to learn enough about which brands/models of filters will be least-bad in terms of vignetting and reductions in image quality before I buy everything at once.

(On a related note, I purchased a Samyang 14mm ultra-wide lens plus a WonderPana FreeArc filter set but that system didn't work out (I'll explain in another post in a few days). This time I am trying to really understand what will work as a system before I place an order.)

Thanks in advance,

Marty

Hi Philip,

very nice images like always!

But what interests me, how do you justify your Statement about the weather sealing of this lens, with the weather sealings of other lens manufacturers? Your guess, or experiences?

Did you happen to investigate the use of filters on the lens, particularly at the 16mm end of the focal-length range?

sorry, I didn't.

Hi Philip,

very nice images like always!

But what interests me, how do you justify your Statement about the weather sealing of this lens, with the weather sealings of other lens manufacturers? Your guess, or experiences?

The lack of a gasket around the lens mount. And Sony also lost some of my trust when they advertised the a7 series as water resistant but later they had to stop because too many people's  cameras died because of water damage.

Also when Roger Cicala teared down the similar 4/24-70 I saw no gaskets or other means to protect the lens from the elements.

So I would call it an educated guess.

Phillip

sorry, I didn't.

The lack of a gasket around the lens mount. And Sony also lost some of my trust when they advertised the a7 series as water resistant but later they had to stop because too many people's  cameras died because of water damage.

Also when Roger Cicala teared down the similar 4/24-70 I saw no gaskets or other means to protect the lens from the elements.

So I would call it an educated guess.

Phillip

It seems to me, that this whole "weather sealed matters" are more or less smart advertisements!  I don't know anybody, who puts his gear under an shower, or keep using it during rain weathers!

I personally protect my gear and keep it out from humidities!

Best

It seems to me, that this whole "weather sealed matters" are more or less smart advertisements!  I don't know anybody, who puts his gear under an shower, or keep using it during rain weathers!

Best

Going by Cicala's disections I wouldn't be too concerned to use a Canon 7dII with an L lens in rainy conditions. I wouldn't do that to my a7 with any lens.

Going by Cicala's disections I wouldn't be too concerned to use a Canon 7dII with an L lens in rainy conditions. I wouldn't do that to my a7 with any lens.

Years ago, my son and I, each using an FUJI HS30 bridge camera, coming into an real heavy rain storm and got really pitch wet!  Result, both cameras where wet, but both camera are working fine up to date!  I guess, this whole weather sealed business, is an over estimated clever advertisement and meanwhile used by all camera/lens manufacturers!

Wow, very nice pics, very sharp!

If you don't mind, could you please let me know how you achieved such result? Tripod + sharpness and contrast boosting in lightroom, or an HDR plugin, or something else?

I'm planning to buy an alpha 6000 or A7 this summer to replace my Nikon D90 that is really too big and don't use so often.

Many thanks ;-)

Wow, very nice pics, very sharp!

If you don't mind, could you please let me know how you achieved such result? Tripod + sharpness and contrast boosting in lightroom, or an HDR plugin, or something else?

I'm planning to buy an alpha 6000 or A7 this summer to replace my Nikon D90 that is really too big and don't use so often.

Many thanks ;-)

I did use a tripod only for the sharpness test, I think every other image is hand held.

For processing I use Lightroom 5 without any plugins, for my postprocessing techiques check this blog post.

Phillip

Your pictures always look amazing.  Everytime I see your review, I pick up the same lens to try and get that same image and theyre never as good.lol 

Is it because of the time of day you're picking? Or just the processing techniques you posted will be enough?

I've been following you for a while, I also love all your minolta images.  One of my favorite photographer!

Your pictures always look amazing.  Everytime I see your review, I pick up the same lens to try and get that same image and theyre never as good.lol 

Is it because of the time of day you're picking? Or just the processing techniques you posted will be enough?

I've been following you for a while, I also love all your minolta images.  One of my favorite photographer!

Good light is terribly important, I wrote about my creative process a while ago and the first artice was about the search for good light.

Experience is very important as well and postprocessing plays a role.

Just keep shooting and leaning :-)

Best

You might not shoot in torrential weather, but I enjoy getting out in rain and snowstorms. Flash rain is also a yucky thing...

I regularly use my gear in -35 degree temperatures (Lapland). Works fine but once it is taken inside the condensation is terrible - everything is dripping wet. I just leave it all to dry out slowly and hope it's ready to go the next day. This is also one of the reasons I moved from Leica (M-P240) to Sony (A72 & A7s) - cheaper to replace if/when things break.

Tim

I regularly use my gear in -35 degree temperatures (Lapland). Works fine but once it is taken inside the condensation is terrible - everything is dripping wet. I just leave it all to dry out slowly and hope it's ready to go the next day. This is also one of the reasons I moved from Leica (M-P240) to Sony (A72 & A7s) - cheaper to replace if/when things break.

Tim

Would

(1) putting the cold gear into an airtight bag while outdoors

(2) then bringing it inside to warm up

(3) then removing it from the airtight bag after it's at room temperature

solve the problem?

I suspect you are absolutely right and that method would help. Would it interfere with the image? I might try it. I have also considered a dive case too (dismissed because if size and weight).

But at the end of the day these things are tools made to be used so if I get a couple of seasons (ie time for tech to move on and upgrade!) then it's a useful tool. I've not taken any Sony before so we'll see what happens!

I suspect you are absolutely right and that method would help. Would it interfere with the image? I might try it. I have also considered a dive case too (dismissed because if size and weight).

But at the end of the day these things are tools made to be used so if I get a couple of seasons (ie time for tech to move on and upgrade!) then it's a useful tool. I've not taken any Sony before so we'll see what happens!

Sorry - I wasn't clear. You would use the camera system to take photos without the bag. After you were finished taking pictures & just before going indoors, bag the camera system. Then bring it indoors etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my A7ii with the 16-35 to the Methow Valley early this year.  It was -10F, and some freezing fog in the mornings.  We were cross country skiing, and while the filter I had on the front frosted up some, the lens handled great.  (even though the back of the camera froze to my beard a couple times while I was composing a shot)  Thawed out just fine, and worked great that whole week in sub 0 temps, with a little bit of moisture.  While it's not an extreme environment, I was very happy with it.

A few samples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/verax/16322793885/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/verax/16144985266/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/verax/16168912881/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/verax/15985004717/in/dateposted-public/