A7r II now or wait for the A7iii...

Seanzzxx

Hey folks,

I might be able to get my hands on a A7R II or A7 III for a very good price (think hundreds and hundreds of euros discount - nothing illegal, but through my employer).

The thing is, a 300 euro cashback deal on the A7r II expires on the 29th, likely before any announcement on a A7 III wil be made. I will need the camera for event/bridal and portrait photography, as well professional video quality.

What do you guys reckon is wisdom here - to make the jump and go for the A7r II? I'm afraid the A7III's sensor will have major improvement to, for example, internal video recording and handling with the rumored joystick, but maybe I'm just being paranoid here. Is there anything known about this? Maybe people who are familiar with the a7rII can give their opinion on it's use for event photography and film-making?

Thank you guys in advance!

Guest Jaf-Photo

It depends. What camera/lenses are you currently using? If you already have good gear, you might as well wait as the A7R2 is at the end of its life and frankly has some limitations.

The A7RII is fantastic for portraits/weddings (see Gary Fong & Jason Lanier on youtube). Great image quality is the bottom line and great IQ does not become crap overnight because a new model came out with more bells & whistles. Even the A850 still compares well (below ISO 800). 

While the a7Rii is a wonderful camera, I believe the a9 has given us a little insight into what is coming. If you don't need the camera, I would wait. If you are really getting a big discount, you could always buy the a7Rii now and sell it when the a7iii comes out. You will have to work those numbers to see if it is worth it. 

I believe at the least the movie record button gets moved and that alone would be enough for me to wait. ;-)