"Unleash the magic of Lydith"

Jurgen

I read with interest the ad for of the kickstarter campaign that is mentioned in the Sony Alpha News today 10.Aug. 
Usually I keep my opinion to myself but for this one I really have to say it. The Meyer-Görlitz Lydith 3.5/30 is everywhere on eBay for ~100US, if you want to dig deeper select Ebay.de and you may find even more. That is for their targeted list price of 1500 USD. Next for the magic: I have this lens since some time, I hardly use it but still want to keep it because 1) 30mm is unusual 2) it is nor razor sharp 3) it tends to be flat because of a very large d.o.f. I haven't yet experienced the "magic" of the lens nor was I aware of that such a thing ever existed. Maybe with the mini focal distance of 35cm one can take a shot of a flower and leave the backdrop blurred...

So: You want to unleash the magic? Get if from eBay , the _real_ thing made in Germany etc etc etc.

Yes this is my opinion, albeit strong. Let me hear yours.

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's considered a magic lens because it has a very neutral rendering. For instance, skin tones will look very clear and natural. It also has a very neutral conteast resulting in clean and detailed images. So you can use the lens to get a very realistic look.

It may not be a good lens for everyone, because many people prefer lenses with more zing to them.

`   

Loudly do I hear you !

Magic ? Surely turning $100 into $1500 is MAGIC !  

It's very typical of all the hardware hype swallowed

by lemming photo-sumers to believe that individual 

models among ancient ordinary lenses are magical. 

I'm not denying the magic in old stuff but it's there in 

many many older lenses, in different forms, and the 

screaming freakin irony is that this "magic" is often 

the exact same flaws from which the lemmings run

screaming in the opposite direction to embrace the  

far more nearly perfect optics anointed thru the "lab 

test review" process. 

People are stoopid, gullible, and prideful. Marketers 

eat them alive, telling them that only the very best is  

good enuf for them, and constantly redefining "best". 

..... I hardly use it but still want to keep it because

1) 30mm is unusual

2) it is nor razor sharp

3) it tends to be flat because of a very large d.o.f. 

I haven't yet experienced the "magic" of the lens

nor was I aware of that such a thing ever existed  

Right.   

30mm is not so unusual. What make you 

think that "28mm" lenses are actually 28 ? 

28mm, 29, or 30, all the same. It's normal.  

Not razor sharp. Acoarst ! Quite normal.  

Very large DoF ? All 28 to 30mm lenses 

will have the same DoF. But it can look as 

if the non-razor-sharp lenses have just a 

bit extra. A lens worthy of rejection by the 

Bokeh Cult can also seem to have extra 

DoF at the mid stops. Many variables :-)  

`

I've had my doubts about this company all along, because they never send their products out to independent reviewers. All you find on the net is self-made hype.

I bought a vintage Trioplan 50mm on eBay, and have fun using it from time to time on my a6300. Wouldn't want to pay through a high price for it though. The same goes for the Lydith. I picked up a vintage copy in good condition for about €70. It's reliable and rewarding to use, sharp from corner to corner, with excellent colour, minimum distortion and a typical, old-style whirly bokeh. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

The new Meyer company is not ripping anyone off though. They make new copies of well-known vintage lenses. Meyer lenses have featured on manual focus forums for years. There is an active group of Meyer-Optik users. For some of them it will be worth getting a newly made copy. Others may prefer to get the used ones.

The crowdfunding approach is probably necessary because they are enthusiasts at some level and don't have the means to pay for expensive production runs in advance. At least they are doing something constructive.

Regarding the Lydith, I want to see what the modern coating does for the image properties. One of the most important features of the East German original is the lack of coating, resulting in a very neutral rendering.

I've had my doubts about this company all along, because they never send their products out to independent reviewers. All you find on the net is self-made hype.

I bought a vintage Trioplan 50mm on eBay, and have fun using it from time to time on my a6300. Wouldn't want to pay through a high price for it though. The same goes for the Lydith. I picked up a vintage copy in good condition for about €70. It's reliable and rewarding to use, sharp from corner to corner, with excellent colour, minimum distortion and a typical, old-style whirly bokeh.