Photos look well exposed in live view -- but look dark in Lightroom

After a year, the one thing that befuddles me still is the difference between what I "see" through viewfinder, and what emerges when I open the photo for editing They are invariably a few clicks too dark, and nearly always need enhancement - but didn't look that way in the viewfinder. Shouldn't a $2,000 camera be able to show me "what I'm getting, and "what it's seeing" in true fidelity?

Guest Jaf-Photo

Do what the posters above say. Also, adjust the brightness of the viewfinder to get a better match. You may also consider using a different raw converter as there are better options for Sony files than LR. Try Capture One, for instance.

Do what the posters above say. Also, adjust the brightness of the viewfinder to get a better match. You may also consider using a different raw converter as there are better options for Sony files than LR. Try Capture One, for instance.

+1 for C1.

Phase One do a Free version for Sony ;-)

Guest Jaf-Photo

I find that LR applies too much contrast to Sony files, which crushes the darker parts of the photo. I regularly increase brightness on the Black and Shadow sliders. For serious work, I only use LR as a catalogue and for print proofing. The editing is done in CaptureOne, DxO and Photoshop.

What you see on live view is a processed image, a mini jpg if you like, whereas your raw file is as it's name implies -raw and unprocessed in any way. Raw images will always need some processing in Lightroom to bring out their full potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...