Discrepancy between viewfinder/screen and photo on a6000

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to photography and just got my a6000 a few days ago. I've been playing around with it and noticed something interesting.

This happened when I was trying to take a picture of an object in sunlight casting a really cool looking shadow. I played around with a bunch of settings (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), until I got it exactly how I wanted it to look on the screen of the camera. However, after taking the picture the contrast between the shadow and the shooting surface was greatly diminished, to the point where it was almost indistinguishable (this was seen in the preview that pops up after snapping the photo and when viewing the photo later). While the surface was black, you can clearly see the shadow on the illuminated part on the screen during the live preview.

I'd understand a difference in how a photo appears on the camera screen and on some external monitor, but am perplexed as to why the viewfinder/screen does not show what will be captured accurately in the live preview.

Am I missing some sort of setting or is this a common phenomenon?

Thanks!

Guest Jaf-Photo

The EVF won't give you a 100% accurate preview. If you enable Setting Effect, it will change according to exposure and style settings. You can also activate zebra to show over-exposure.

But in actual fact, you'll have to realise your vision afterwards in editing software. Alternatively, if you shoot jpeg, you can adjust contast in camera.

With time and experience, you'll be able to translate the EVF view into a vision of the actual photo.