Ring for A7II / MC MD lenses ?

7red

Hi everybody,  I'm about to receive my A7II, i'd like to use some of my old Minolta MC gear....  A Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4 and Rokkor 35mm f2.8.

The issue is wich ring should I have to choose ? Novoflex Nex/MC is pretty expensive, K&F announce that their ring doen't fit to A7II (I don't know why, this is an E-mount like nex or A7... ), Fotodiox... else ?

I'm a bit lost with this choice so thanks for your help and feedback.  ;)

It seems K&F are just a bit careful regarding tolerances.

The newer metal mounts of the Mark II series are a tighter than the early E-mounts which were half plastic. 

Nevertheless I use a K&F Contax C/Y adapter on my A7R II without any problems. I would be surprised if the ones for Minolta don't fit.

All the cheap Chinese adapters have higher tolerances than expensive Novoflex or MTF Services (from Britain). But you can buy a few of them and trash the ones that don't fit and still save lots of money. Among the better ones are K&F, Kiwi, Fotga and Fotodiox.

I see no reason why the lesser expensive lens adaptors would not work, and there is no reason why a company copying the more expensive models are not able to match the tolerances that they are copying. I am not sure I would buy a Far Eastern Rolex watch or Martin guitar but I guess that there are other parameters at work here that don't apply to a lens adaptor. I have a Novaflex E/Mount to Leica/M Mount which certainly was more expensive but I guess I was at the mercy of the retailer, having limited or no knowledge of the product. The user reviews read well, and to quote Guy Martin, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Most of the cheaper adapters will have more play and some don't really match the correct flange distance. So, your distance marks may be off and parfocal zooms won't stay parfocal.

The worst thing to happen is a tiny angle between the front and back surface which will make your picture less sharp on one side.

These points get worse with shorter focal lengths. There is a reason why some folks still buy the top-of-the-line ones.

That said, after dumping a few bad ones, I'm quite happy with my cheapo adapters. 

........... I am not sure I would buy a Far Eastern Rolex watch or Martin

guitar but I guess that there are other parameters at work here that don't

apply to a lens adaptor. .......  

So you have an understanding re: Rolex and Martin knock-offs. 

What makes you think adapters don't follow suit ?  

You can play a fake Martin, tell time by a fake Rolex, and adapt 

a lens to a body using a cheap adapter. But all three examples 

involve distinctly inferior knock-offs with accompanying varying

degrees of lesser performance.   

The audience doesn't give a rat's ass that your fake Martin may 

not play easily ... etc etc etc but as the user of a product, all the 

better choices, the real Martin, real Rolex, real MetaBones etc 

you will have fewer problems. 

Thanks for sharing your expérience. I think I'm going to try the K&F ring.... 4 or 5 time cheaper than the Novoflex one !

I think that is not a bad idea? Suggestion, why not but the lesser expensive one and, say, the Novaflex one, which I can confirm works fine, from, say Amazon? You can then trial both, look at the results, and send back the one the pleases you least. I love the a7R ll, set peaking to medium/ red on the menu and it will enhance out of focus areas red, very useful? enjoy

So you have an understanding re: Rolex and Martin knock-offs. 

What makes you think adapters don't follow suit ?  

You can play a fake Martin, tell time by a fake Rolex, and adapt 

a lens to a body using a cheap adapter. But all three examples 

involve distinctly inferior knock-offs with accompanying varying

degrees of lesser performance.   

The audience doesn't give a rat's ass that your fake Martin may 

not play easily ... etc etc etc but as the user of a product, all the 

better choices, the real Martin, real Rolex, real MetaBones etc 

you will have fewer problems. 

Where have I heard this comment before? I have a Martin D35 and a Rolex 114060 Submariner and I am sure I made that self same comparison myself? I suggested the OP tries both lesser expensive and more expensive adaptors from, say, Amazon, trails both in use and makes his own mind up, he can then send back the inferior one? By the by, I am considering buying a lesser expensive E-Mount to Nikon F adaptor as I have a couple of friends with Nikkor's that I could borrow now and then. Any thoughts?

Conversely, would you put a Skoda engine in one of these?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!