High Speed Sync On Camera Flash options for A7 series

Hi all,

Anyone know what the most powerful option is for HSS on a Sony A7RII for on camera flash? And what the output generally is (do they have HSS Guide Numbers?) 

I've been looking at the hassy x1d and rx1rII because of their leaf shutter options, but both have huge issues for me (x1d, the massive price tag compared to the relatively unfinished and glitchy product - the Rx1RII the 35mm lens, which while great is too short for most of my work).

I am starting to work on a project where I am using direct on camera flash outside in a variety of lighting conditions. Subjects are myriad - mostly still, but movement is not a concern. Just looking to get the most powerful artificial light output that I can on my A7RII while shooting at higher shutter speeds. I am also gelling the flash, reducing output, another reason I want power. While this is a constraint, I want to limit this to on camera flashes only, as this all needs to fit in my shoulder bag. 

@Kazooless is there a particular model you use on camera? Speedlight or are you using one of those barebulb ones (not sure, might be too unwieldly for my purposes) What sort of exposures do you get outside in the sun with it on full power?

Thanks for the link.  

HSS is basically continuous light, forced, for 

a brief period, out of a device never intended 

for the purpose .... so it's very fortunate, and 

necessary, to keep the illumination brief. But 

it is NOT so fortunate if you wanna SEE the  

light in real time. OTOH, and LED panel has 

no deficits when producing continuous light, 

as thaz its primary design function. You can 

see your illumination and you're not cooking 

a flash tube and capacitor to death. HSS is 

an obsolete holdover from pre-LED days of

slow synch'ed cloth shutters [and film]. 

Thanks, but I know what HSS is and how it works, and it is actually becoming used more widely these days with flashes designed for it. LED is nowhere near bright enough for what I want. I have no need to see the light in real time, I just need it to illuminate things I am photographing. I don't know about you, but the 1/200 limit of the Sony is still pretty limiting, and I am just trying to see what my options are for pushing these limits without having to resort to buying a leaf shutter camera (or system), since my demands don't require stopping motion with the strobe, the pulsating method of HSS would theoretically be fine. I mean, it actually works fine with my Nissin i40, but (as it is not that powerful to begin with) the light output is small, and I want to know if there are options for a significantly brighter output than I can still shoot 1/1000 or 1/2000 with - on camera that is. Otherwise I would use one of those cactus transmitters.  

IIRC the pulse frequency of HSS flash that simulates 

continuous light is a constant, so the faster the shutter

speed, the lower the GN. Thaz why I suggested LEDs.  

As to the limited normal synch of 1/200, that would be 

less problematic if you opt for a really powerful flash. 

Does your meaning for "on camera" include motherly

flashes that ride on a camera bracket, or does your

meaning for "on camera" mean "on hot shoe" ? Real

power tends to mean "on a camera bracket". So if you

meant "hot shoe", yeah, you really got your back up to

a wall :-(    

I'm aware that HSS "is actually becoming used more

widely these days with flashes designed for it" ... as 

are plenty of other "tech for tech's sake" sketchy ideas. 

To each their own, and so best of luck on your quest !