Focus is blurry not clear in images

i've been using my A6300 for about 5 months and  find that images are frequently blurry.  I've checked firmware, using different focas methods, F stops . . still my images are usually not crisp or as clear as I'd expect.

lenses:

sony SEL 24024

see attachment.

zoomed in 200mm, small focus point.  the bottle is only 8' away from camera.  Text is very blurry even at native res.  

Please any help.

Todd

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest all8

Sony SEL 24-240, at 200mm, distance to subject 8 inches (20cm for those of us not familiar with the imperial system), right?

Its worth considering the minimum focus distance of that lens is listed as :

1.64 ft-2.63 ft (0.5 m-0.8 m)  from https://www.sony.com/electronics/camera-lenses/sel24240#product_details_default

But of-course, as the tinplater suggests, camera movement can also be a problem. Shutter speed, IIRC the "golden rule" (its in quotes .. cause I can't remember the actual name) was something like _minimum_ shutter speed of 1/FL ... so for 200mm FL then around 1/250 is a good place to start.

Camera has moved vertically during exposure. 

Horizontal line are double imaged. Verticals are 

not doubled but there is almost certainly some

generalized random motion/vibration as well. 

I won't ask if you used a tripod, as most users 

of compact lightweight cameras choose light 

tripods. The flaws in that image could likely be  

made by a camera on such a tripod. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's difficult to tell without methodical testing. It could be camera shake, OSS vibrations or some fault.

I would suggest placing the camera and lens on a bean bag, disable OSS, set the lens to 100mm f8, use manual focus and magnification to set focus, trigger shutter remotely. This should eliminate any movement and provide maximum sharpness.

Being a superzoom, the 24240 will never be super sharp but it should be capable of decent image quality.