A6300. Shutter delay & missing photo opportunities as a result.

I have had the camera for several weeks & it seems fine. I don't know if I have altered something but it seems sluggish now. When I press the shutter button it seems to wait a while before taking the photo. Sometimes I seem to have to press it very hard to take the photo. I also have an A7. On that I press the shutter half way down, and a green light & sound happen in a split second (in good light), I then continue to press the shutter button, the complete action happens in a split second. I thought the A6300 was similar. I have reset the A6300 twice but can't seem to get it to focus when the button is halfway down, & then continue on to complete taking the picture. I don't see any green display or sound bleep to say it is in focus.
As I said before, now when I press the shutter it goes straight down, hunts for a few seconds, then when pressed hard it seems to focus & take the pictue quickly (but only after a second or more of waiting for it to activate. I have missed several photo opportunities because of this. I am using the kit lens but it happens the same on my Sony 70-400 lens (the earlier one). The movie button works straight away every time.

I suspect you have altered the camera, there are lots of focus options.  The green box and beep (if enabled) indicate in focus.  If you have focus priority selected the camera will not fire until focus is achieved.  I would recommend you try, if you haven't already single shot drive, focus area flexible spot small, single focus (not continuous focus) and of course make certain you are not in manual focus.  In the menu you can also instruct the camera to fire even if not in focus (shutter priority) but I have found that gets me out of focus images more often than not.