adwb

eye focus and face recognition on A7r2 not working

Hi on Saturday , not for the first time, I gave up trying to use the eye focus on my A7r2.

It matters not which lens I have fitted, but the acquisition of a face square and the eye focus square are random to say the least.

Given the praises that have been sung over these focusing aids I have to assume I have something not set correctly.

I was taking 20-30 images of 50 models at speed  so I tried both continuous and single focus modes, full focus area and zone are and even centre area. I have face recognition turned on and eye focus assigned to c3 button.

I was shooting with studio  lights at f8 _ 1/160 _ iso 100 all day .

Is there a focal length that works better, I see videos of people using all sorts of focal lengths and still saying how brilliant the eye focus is.  

I found standing in roughly the same place and the models the same that the face recognition was totally random when it appeared. The images them selves are fine , in fact every one is in focus so thats not a issue.

What are the aperture and other parameters that you have found that allow the camera to regularly find faces never mind the eye focus? 

yes I think the lens needs to be wide open for it to work consistently and that's a problem when the lighting even on minimum power requires f4.5 or smaller 

What lens are you using? My A7r doesn't have any problems on Sony 28 and Batis 85, even when when closed to f7.

makes no difference which lens;  kit lens ,90 macro ,50 mm,  all the same.

it seems to me that you need to be shooting 3/4 or tighter shots for the face recognition or the eye focus to be selected shot after shot