Flash recommendations for a6500

Guest Jaf-Photo

Personally, I decided on Nissin i40. It's a good match in terms of size and weight. It has good light and a lot of great features, too.

I particularly like the control wheels which are a lot faster to use than normal displays and buttons.

Can someone tell me the type of flash mount style the Sony uses so I can look at third party ones.

Also, I understand Sony makes some wireless flashes but they do not sync directly with the a6500. Do you think that Sony will enable that feature in future via a firmware update? I guess I'm wondering if I should buy a Sony flash like the HVL-F20M or HVL-F32M to have that functionality in the future.

A couple of things...

Up until their recent release of their (expensive IMHO) wireless (radio) transmitter and receivers, Sony did not offer a true "wireless/ radio" solution.

Just did a quick check and B&H says the trigger (transmitter) is compatible with the A6500.

To be honest, If you're looking for a third party solution for on camera and off camera control of one or more flashes, I'd recommend the Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver (re-branded Godox TT350).

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminiso.html

For the price of one set of Sony radio transmitter and receiver PLUS the price of an HVL-F32M you could buy seven Flashpoint flashes with the transmitter and receiver built in and an R2 trigger in case you wanted to control all seven flashes off camera :D

FYI:

Prior to the radio solution mentioned above, Sony managed controlling / syncing remote flashes via pulses of light from a commander flash on camera. Sort of an optical / wireless hybrid solution. You need direct line of sight between flashes for this to work.

You mentioned the HVL-F20M and HVL-F32M. You should be aware that the HVL-F20M is only capable of being hot shoe mounted "intelligent" flash. It will do TTL and can act as an optical commander for other Sony flashes above it.

So; the HVL-F20M on camera can remotely control the HVL-F32M when it off camera BUT the HVL-F32M on camera can not control the HVL-F20M off camera.

Guest Jaf-Photo

If you don't need TTL, there are many wireless options. In fact, many people prefer to set up off-camera flashes manually. You could use a basic radio trigger or a flash as an optical trigger.

For an on-camera flash, the priority should be portability, power and battery capacity.

Sony's optical TTL works well for exposure, but it's somewhat impractical. First, there's a delay tripping the shutter while the flashes communicate. Second, the pulses can be quite disruptive, if you are photographing people. I've used the F58 as a controller and it's pretty loud and startling when the pulses go off.

So, basically, get the best on-camera flash and think about off-camera flashes separately.

• 8 months later...

I picked up a good deal from Adorama today. The Flashpoint Zoom-Mini Thinklite TTL R2 Flash - e.g. rebranded Godox TT350 for Sony open box for $59. Ordered two plus the Flashpoint R2 2.4G transmitter, $170 in total. Add in a few diffusers like the Lightsphere and I have a decent setup for most occasions.