a99 flash sync speed problem... vs Hasselblad HV

This is my firs post, hope its in the right area?... For several years I have been using defective a99s. I call them defective because they don't flash sync at the advertised 1/250s (non-HSS), in fact even at 1/200s there is still a faint shutter shadow. Its not until I slow it down to 1/160s does the "shutter-to-fast" shadow go away. After researching this to be a common problem with the a99 I have just dealt with it. HOWEVER, I just discovered something interesting! I recently acquired a Hasselblad HV which is basically an a99 with an upgraded external makeover with no changes to the internals... Or so I thought. Just for the heck of it I did a shutter/flash speed test and the HV syncs just fine up to 1/250s. So now I wonder if all a99s have the sync problem or is it limited to some. I would think there would be a major recall or more outcry regarding this problem. Strangely the people that have written internet reviews that described this a99 problem don't think it's much of a big deal. If you have an a99 please test it and let me know your results. Again this is without HSS on. I have done tests using the hot shoe, using the PC plug on the side of the camera, with several brands of flash, wireless systems etc.   

I strongly suspect you're encountering a manufacturing tolerance 

variable ... slow blade travel or early release of second blade set, 

depending upon whether the shadow is at the top or the bottom. 

Apparently you have two or more samples with the same problem, 

which is a bizarre coincidence. What you report should have been 

addressed during your warranty period. The 'Blad clones are not 

any different under the cosmetics, but they surely represent some 

other manufacturing batch. 

As to the variability, I have been fortunate that I've not had your 

problem, but "unfortunate" in that only some, but not all :-( , of my 

Sonys can synch a bit higher than the spec'd speed. So there is 

indeed some variable. I've had the lucky side.

What flash are you using on a regular basis ?

Any non-Sony flash is likely to have a little off-timing. I experience this pretty often with "non communicating" WL triggers

Did you try any Sony flash at all ( HVL-F32M, F43M, F60M, F58AM, F56AM, F43AM, F36AM ) ????

I didn't think having 2 a99s with this problem was bizarre because as mentioned I've researched the web over a few years and found several other complaints about this. If you Google "Sony a99 sync problem" you will find them.

After more testing with several flash brands and wireless systems the only flash that didn't show a problem was a Sony HVL-F60. So whats up with that? Ive been a pro for 30 years using many brands of on-camera flashes, studio lights wired to pc outlets and hot shoes, and wireless systems with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, and even the Sony a900 & a850 DSLRs... and I've never come across a camera that only syncs to its maximum advertised speed using a same brand dedicated on-camera flash.

Whats really bizarre is this was the first Sony/Minolta camera to have a non-dedicated universal hot shoe so people could use non Sony/Minolta equipment without an adapter... But if you do you'll have this problem? 

Somebody or several people please do me a favor and test your a99 with a NON Sony flash to see if you can duplicate this problem of not being able to sync above 1/200s without getting the shutter/shade line in your frame.