Sony a6000+6500 video issue bars in video

Hey everyone.

I purchased the a6000 a while back and used it for a few. Before I returned it I noticed that some bars on the video feature were under exposed. There were about 3 to 4 bars. I decided to record the video and put it in my lap top just to make sure if it was the cameras screen or something, But as soon as I saw the footage on the computer the bars were in there as well. I returned the camera because I ended up buying the a6500 anyways. Since its a new camera and newer model i forgot about the issue. Later down the road of using the camera I noticed the exact same problem come up on this camera. It is very odd I have done some research and looked for similar situations as mine but so far nothing. Basically I get about 4 horizontal bars that go across the frame of my video that look underexposed. Please take a look at this frame I captured at an event. If you look at the screen shots carefully. You can see the bars are in the exact same position.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Could be LED lighting at the venue creating an interference pattern on the exposure. I see this all the time with my a6300 and a6500. If it happens under sunlight maybe there is a problem with the cameras, but unlikely. If it is an LED light frequency problem you might try different shutter speeds to see if that alleviates the problem.

• 1 month later...

This is almost definitely an artifact from LED lighting. I see this more and more as LED's have become cheaper and better than their tungsten alternatives. The same problem rears its head with silent shutter on my A6500 and A7r2. I vaguely remember silent shutter strobes the sensor in the same way as video. Sometimes it's very hard to spot until I'm back at home looking at a monitor, and then it's too late. Now I only use silent shutter with natural light if needed.