APS-C vs Super 35

adwb

I have seen it written that if you have the camera set to auto for the aps-c / super 35 then movie mode uses super 35 but on myA7r2 that does not happen i need to select it manually am I misunderstanding something?

I have seen it written that if you have the camera set to auto for the aps-c / super 35 then movie mode uses super 35 but on myA7r2 that does not happen i need to select it manually am I misunderstanding something?

Works as expected on the 2 x A7r2's I use.  If you try recording a movie when in "M" mode for stills (full 4:3 frame), does the image on the rear display look like it zooms-in slightly when you hit the RED record button?  If it does then its working as expected...  if not....  not sure.. what movie mode are you using?  4K or HD?   I'm normally in 4k so haven't checked what it does in HD.

Works as expected on the 2 x A7r2's I use.  If you try recording a movie when in "M" mode for stills (full 4:3 frame), does the image on the rear display look like it zooms-in slightly when you hit the RED record button?  If it does then its working as expected...  if not....  not sure.. what movie mode are you using?  4K or HD?   I'm normally in 4k so haven't checked what it does in HD.

well yes that works as you describe it ,    but,     that is not the same "look" as putting the APS-C /Super 35mm to ON  which zooms in considerably more on the screen  which was what I understand is supposed to happen when in video mode and APS-c / Super 35mm auto.

I am aware  the auto only works with a apsc lens to avoid the heavy vignette, however I thought it  meant that  in video mode that happens with any lens if in auto from this article  https://www.erwinvandijck.com/nieuws/optimized-video-settings-sony-a7r2

"I advise to use the S35 mode in general. Except situations with a lot of movement in your frame (sports, fast moving objects, car chases etc.) or when you really need the wide image of the full frame.

You can easily set the camera to "automatically" use S35 during filming and full frame during picture taking. 

Found in Custom Settings Menu, Tab 6

APS-C/Super 35mm: Auto" end quote 

which therefore appears to be wrong