Sony A7S original for pics only? Good or just go to the A7SII

Hello,

So, I currently have a Sony A7 original and a Fujifilm X70.  I started to get into photography about 2 years or so ago and of course the obsession has set in...

I want to upgrade and you have to follow my logic here, but this is what I am thinking:

Keep the Fujifilm X70 for travel and general walk around (I love this thing)

Buy a Sony a7S original for night still and low light stills only

Buy a Sony A7RII for all other photography

I got into photography mostly because I do a vintage car race in italy, but my job changed and I have been traveling over 200,000 miles a year in the air all over the world. 

I have been holding off from upgrading for a while and I am ready to pull the trigger.  I have up to about $4000 to spend (+ or - a little).

I do quite a bit of wandering at night and want something that performs in low light.  

If I am only looking for stills does the original Sony A7S still make sense?  I think I can swing buying a nice used A7S and a new A7RII.

Does this make sense?  Have a different idea?

Thanks!

My instagram is jainbaby if you want to see the types of photos I take...

Hello,

So, I currently have a Sony A7 original and a Fujifilm X70.  I started to get into photography about 2 years or so ago and of course the obsession has set in...

I want to upgrade and you have to follow my logic here, but this is what I am thinking:

Keep the Fujifilm X70 for travel and general walk around (I love this thing)

Buy a Sony a7S original for night still and low light stills only

Buy a Sony A7RII for all other photography

I got into photography mostly because I do a vintage car race in italy, but my job changed and I have been traveling over 200,000 miles a year in the air all over the world. 

I have been holding off from upgrading for a while and I am ready to pull the trigger.  I have up to about $4000 to spend (+ or - a little).

I do quite a bit of wandering at night and want something that performs in low light.  

If I am only looking for stills does the original Sony A7S still make sense?  I think I can swing buying a nice used A7S and a new A7RII.

Does this make sense?  Have a different idea?

Thanks!

My instagram is jainbaby if you want to see the types of photos I take...

I'm no expert on Sony A7 series so take my opinion with as much doubt a you can but based upon what you wrote, If all you are doing is just what you mentioned - why you need A7s as well as A7Rii both ?

Second question - which eco-system you are invested in ? Do you have lens for Sony or Fuji ? If you need to switch from one to other how difficult you think it would be for you to change your lenses ?

Assuming you have Sony A7 I think you've glass for Sony A7 line up, in that case why not just buy A7R ii and call it a day ? Why you need A7S ii unless you are not shooting in pitch dark environment for commercial purpose.

If you are in USA in that case there is good deals going on at present for A7R ii

I got my A7R ii just yesterday from RobertsCamera after doing a lens trade-in for $2248 - body only. I'm adding it to my current Canon eco-system.

Check this thread

https://slickdeals.net/f/9697380-sony-camera-lens-trade-in-trade-in-dslr-mirrorless-or-lens-get-up-to-480-off-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

Sony is offering $480 trade-in bonus rebate apart from instant $300 discount on A7R ii

My final cost was

$3198 - original price

-$300 - instant discount

-$480 - trade-in bonus

-$135 - Lens trade-in price (I traded in my Samyang 8mm Fisheye lens which I've hardly used)

Same is available for other A7 series camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/12630/sony-a7-trade-in.html

Other option is buy Fujifilm XT-2 or XT-20 you will save good amount of money and you will be able to buy some quality glass for that money.

Sorry for long post but hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.  A few things:

The Fuji X70 is a fixed lens camera and I am using exclusively for travel when I don't want to carry a bag and just use something that can fit in my pocket.

I have a few M mount lenses and I have the following Sony/ Zeiss:

Loxia 50 F2

55 F1.8 Sony Zeiss

28mm F2 Sony

I also have various adapted lenses like Canon and Nikon in the 50, 85 and 105 focal length.

I was thinking the A7S would be great for super low light stills.  And the A7R2 for everything else.  

***I went to the camera store today and kinda didn't leave with what I was expecting***

Purchased, A7R2 and Leica 50MM Summicron F2.

Let see if I still think there is a need for an A7S.  

Does anyone carry both an a7R2 and an A7S or A7S2?

Is there are reason you need three separate A7 bodies?

The A7S will probably be the harder one to find because it's older. Best Buy should carry all three models. Even if they do not have them on hand in the store if you place your order there (rather than online) they can ship everything to your home address for free. The return policy will be the same as if you bought it in store, hence very easy. Buying online means doing returns online.

I have an A7S, and an A7Rii.  I used to own an A7ii.

The only reason to get either the S, or the Sii is the performance in low light.

In good light the Rii produces much better photos, and the extra pixels is like adding zoom to every lens since you can crop and still have a usable image.

The S because of its resolution forces you to be more critical in composition.

When the Siii eventually comes out I will upgrade.  With Sony, I like to upgrade at least 2 steps at a time.

JCC 

I sold my sony A7s and I bought A7R II, I prefer my photos with A7S in low Light conditions, and the A7S is smaller.

If I find one good price I will buy it again.

Perfect, this is kinda what I was looking for, real world experience with stills only in low light. 

So, I traded in my A7 and bought an A7R2.  So I now have an A7R2 and the Fuji X70.  

I am thinking to buy an original A7S and be done.  But Im still wondering if anyone can tell me whether it is worth it to buy the A7S2 over the A7S?  Again this will only be for stills.  I figure I will carry two bodies when I have the camera bag with me and probably 3-4 lenses.  If I am traveling and want to be pocket size only, I will just use the X70.  Any other time I would have the camera bag (backpack) and have room for two bodies and multiple lenses. 

So, can anyone tell me whether the A7S2 will give any advantage (worthy of $1000 or so more) over the original A7S for stills only?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sony A7S with voigtlander 75mm

I used to have the A7s and loved it and while in real low light it betters the A7rII it really isn't by much and if you downsize the A7RII files the performance IQ wise is pretty much the same. What I did find better with the A7s was the EVF when the light is very low and the focussing but to be honest unless your operating in near darkness this again is not a problem with the A7rII. The A7II though is really not a great performer in low light

I used to have the A7s and loved it and while in real low light it betters the A7rII it really isn't by much and if you downsize the A7RII files the performance IQ wise is pretty much the same. What I did find better with the A7s was the EVF when the light is very low and the focussing but to be honest unless your operating in near darkness this again is not a problem with the A7rII. The A7II though is really not a great performer in low light

So since I now only have an A7R2 and no other Sony Bodies, I still want a second body but don't want to buy another A7R2, get an original A7R or A7S as the second body? Around the same price used give or take $100-200 difference

I have an A7s and an A7rii. I use the A7s for stills only and I use it a lot in low light. Imo the two cameras complement each other very well. I also find that the noise at very high ISO's on the A7s looks like film grain, so I often leave the noise in very high ISO images. While the A7rii has pretty good high ISO performance itself, I get an extra 4-5 stops out of the A7s.

I have an A7s and an A7rii. I use the A7s for stills only and I use it a lot in low light. Imo the two cameras complement each other very well. I also find that the noise at very high ISO's on the A7s looks like film grain, so I often leave the noise in very high ISO images. While the A7rii has pretty good high ISO performance itself, I get an extra 4-5 stops out of the A7s.

Sealed my decision, THANKS!!