Does mirrorless camera still have shutter life?

E93

I know DSLR after so many shots you need to replace the senor. However, been mirrorless doesn't have shutter, does it still have some kind of counts after so many shots the senor need to be replace?

I'm very new in mirrorless camera.

Sony mirrorless cameras lack a mirror but retain a shutter which works just the same way as a DSLR.

Being mechanical it certainly does have a finite life, presumably comparable to DSLRs but with the bonus of there being no mirror flip-up mechanism to go wrong.

Although they quote the shutter life of A mount bodies (typically 150,000 or 200,000) Sony have never released expected shutter life figures for E-mount cameras. The only figure anyone's got out of them was a rather low 25,000 for the NEX7.

Yes, all mirrorless still have shutters otherwise they might be called shutterless :P The Sony A7S and rumored A7rII have an option to choose electronic shutter in which I guess you could potentially have the shutter last longer by not using it. However you get other issues that may or may not effect your image when using a full electronic shutter. 

Ive owned lots of cameras, digital and non digital and have never needed to replace the shutter. However I don't think Ive ever put over 200,000 clicks on a camera before selling it for an upgrade. The highest I ever got was 110K on my Canon 7D. That was a workhorse of a camera. 

• 2 weeks later...

Published shutter life is NOT any of the following: 

1. The recommended time for replacement

2. A guarantee of actual or approximate durability

3. An indicator of the quality or accuracy of the camera

4. A useful fact

I know some will take issue with number 4. They will

say that even if they agree about numbers 1 thru 3,

they will point out that number 4 actually IS useful, if

only for comparative [not absolute] purposes. OK, I

put the "poison pill" in the wording of number 4. Even

I might allow that published shutter life may somehow

be useful, I poisoned it by saying "useful FACT", and

acoarst, it's not a fact

So OK shutters estimated for a life of 200,000 cycles 

really do, as a large group, distinctly outlast shutters

estimated for 50,000 cycles. This does not apply to

individual shutters, but only to large samples, and the

difference between the groups will not likely actually

be 150,000 in the real world.  

• 1 month later...

Although they quote the shutter life of A mount bodies (typically 150,000 or 200,000) Sony have never released expected shutter life figures for E-mount cameras. The only figure anyone's got out of them was a rather low 25,000 for the NEX7.

Update: the A7Rii is the first E-mount camera for which Sony have officially quoted a predicted shutter lifetime: an industry-leading 500,000.
This is "double" it's predecessor according to this interview, suggesting they expected A7R to last 250,000.

This thread has more useful info and an example where a cheap NEX-5N is still working after >200,000 actuations.

While some progress is being made (silent shooting modes and 1/16,000th electronic shutter option on RX100 IV) there's no suggestion the mechanical shutter will go away any time soon on large-sensor cameras.

• 3 years later...

Geoff in Seattle

I just found this thread because I was looking for shutter life of my A7Rii.

My camera has taken 622,999 clicks and has not needed repair yet once.

However, last month the shutter did stick but I watched a YouTube video that helped me fix that issue while I was at a baseball game.

So 500,000 is a good estimate and I feel lucky to have gotten this many so far.

Thanks for all the info in this thread from 4 years ago everyone!